TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

343 bore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 11:04am
Just for giggles, lets say your 343 makes 280 hp.
Better heads and bigger should be a linear change
to about 294 hp if all things are equal. Peak torque
should rise a bit due to the longer stroke.

Gremlin Dreams
JavelinSST View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 11:45am
How much would aluminum heads and aluminum intake help? I'm really looking to raise the hp
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 5:52pm
if you are talking about a set of Edelbrocks probibly not
more than a set of stock 1970+ dog leg heads.
But they are a LOT lighter.

I played the bolt on game many years back and you gain little or nothing
except for an empty bank account.

A stock 343 with a good aluminum dual plane should
be capable of between 250 and 300 hp depending on compression.

If you want big performance it's a whole different ball game
and it's best to start with a later motor.
Gremlin Dreams
68st343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68st343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 6:06pm
Thanks for the info Boris, Still deciding what to do with the 343, thought it was stock but found out it's 30 over, not going auto anymore, looking for 5 speed now, but was thinking change crank to make easier trans swap, just not sure what to do. 68/343 is probly not worth much since I have one, parts/motors are hard to find down here because after Hurricane Katrina in 05 all the car/junk yards scraped out, now not alot of old stuff around. Thanks for your help/ideas, John
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 6:22pm
I do not know what your budget is but given the choice
it is easy to find 360s. Throw in a 401 crank and rods and you have a 385 on stock bores.
If you are adventureous stoke the heck out of it.
401's are becoming rare and expensive, a 4" stroke 360 is a 418.

360s are common and cheep.

343s are very cool.

But....

There aint no replacement for displacement.
Gremlin Dreams
68st343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68st343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 9:37pm
I have a local "auto dismantaler" checking his sources for a 401 and have been following the stroker rod blog here. I've seen reman 360 cranks on rock auto for 200.00 but haven't found any 401 cranks at a reasonable cost, can't see losing a good 343 to buy and rebuild a 360, but a 401 or stroker 360 is a different animal, I've got time to decided on engine, will keep looking, Thanks again for your info/knowledge, John
Damn Yank View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damn Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2015 at 4:00am
 This 343  is a whole new ball game, ain't it? I have been going through the same thought process over here with mine. After talking with a few folks about it I have decided to just make the 343 breath easier and replace what needs to be replaced. Like everyone is saying.... to modify it, it's going to take some time and money with more than bolt-ons. The options made my head spin.
  After getting right down to it, deciding I'm not gonna be drag racing this car,  I can add just a few HP to it to help it get some better mpg. It is all that can be done to make it dependable. This is where I have decided to concentrate my efforts.
 I'll take dependable over an extra 50 HP all day long. I'd rather drive it than keep tinkering with the modifications all the time. AMC built dependable cars from the factory. I'm not good enough to mess with perfection.
 Wish I was closer.  Sounds like we are almost right at the same stage with the same engines. I haven't measured my bore yet but I got the car with 80K on it. I am hoping a clean hone will do it justice. Keep us updated on the direction your going in. I'd like to know how it goes.
68 SST 343- Think Green.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2015 at 6:09am
If I were restoring a car and wanted the original block
in place there is a number of low $$$ mods you can make.
Like a 390 or 401 crank. Early 401 crank if you are running an BW automatic.
A 360 crank is an option, and a set of iron dog leg heads can be faily easily adapted.

If you are stroking the thing beware of the different wrist pin sizes and so on...

I have a set of original non rebuilt 1975 401 rods in good shape
that I have been trying to give away for the past two years, absolutely free.....
Except for shipping.

So there are options.

For the $$$ value I would opt for a late 360 and stroke it to 4".
Gremlin Dreams
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2015 at 9:12am
If you can find a 390 crank, pistons and rods, you can usually bore a 343 out to that size and turn it into a 390, always a good idea to sonic check first though.

360 crank is a good option, just be a little careful to check deck clearance though as the 360 block did have a slightly taller deck height for a reason.

Biggest downside to maintaining stock stroke is the pistons are a long way down the bore, which doesn't make for an ideal combustion process, i.e. no quench.

Dogleg heads will help, most of the gain comes from better exhaust flow, probably not a massive gain there.

Edelbrock heads will give similar gains to mildly ported dogleg heads.

How much cam you want to run is largely going to determine the output and how you tackle the rest of the build.

My 343 with 360 crank and Edelbrock heads is making around 260HP at the tyres and runs very close to flat 13's in the 1/4 mile with the BW auto and 3.54 rear.
68st343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68st343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 11:04pm
Damn Yankee,I did test drive the car before buying, it was stored for a lot of years, we got it running halfass, it had plenty pep, you'll be happy with a reliable build.      WesternRed, we discussed the 360 crank in a earlier post about the deck height issue, I quick checked two clys at tdc in my 343, one bank had 83 the other 82 thou clearance, but Boris let me know compression would be about 12.5 to 1 with the 360 crank in the 343, sooooooo?      Boris, I like the stroke idea so I'll keep a lookout for the 401, then a good 360, guess no matter which way I go, I need a 390/401 crank and parts, I"ll let you know about them rods, great to have all this knowledge/help provided by everybody, John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic