TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

327 to later model AMC trans adapter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepconvert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 327 to later model AMC trans adapter
    Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 3:17pm
This is my first time posting. Currently, I am in the process of swapping a 68 Jeep 327 Vigilante motor into my 1977 Hornet X, and have run into a few problems, though, honestly, far fewer than I had expected.

I began test fitting the motor yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised at the compatibility of the parts, given how much I had heard about the nightmare these "oddball" swaps can be. The stock I6 engine mounts will work with little modification, and the flexplate mounting surface on the 327 happens to sit a very convenient 1/2in farther from the bellhousing mounting surface than it did on the I6, allowing space for a 1/2 inch steel adapter plate between the engine and trans.

The only unresolved issue I have is what to do about the starter. during the test fit, I discovered that the starter for the '77 trans falls exactly where the lowermost bolthole on the arm of the passenger side of the 327 does.

Here is my question: Does anyone have any better ideas what to do about the starter, before I take a sawzall to the side of my very pretty, and very old engine block?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 11:21pm
wow crazy swap project! ill advised! i approve :-)

there are a lot of starters out there. i cant figure out what your description of the situation is. photos?  does an empty starter body bolt in?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

jeepconvert View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepconvert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 11:47pm
Haha. Glad you approve. I can't figure out how to post photos straight to the site, so I hope this link works.

Apologies for the poor photo quality. I just got off work, and its dark.

I just held up the dust cover from the transmission to illustrate the problem. I guess I'm just concerned about removing what seems to me to be a key structural component of the mounting face. The original mounting point for the starter on the 327 seemed to hug the right head, and it sits too far away from the 258 flexplate, which is about 1.5-2 inches smaller in diameter than the 327 flywheel was. The 258 starter seems to be the only option.

Edited by jeepconvert - Apr/18/2017 at 11:50pm
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepconvert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 11:51pm

Better photo
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 6:21am
I'm highly interested in how this one works out.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 2:15pm
Drill and tap your adapter plate. Rotate the starter around the crank centerline till you find an open spot.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 7:12am
That's what I'd do too. I'm assuming you are making your own adapter plate? Just remember that the trans has to be pefrectly centered on the engine. That's why the alignment dowels for the bell -- bolt holes have too much play! IIRC the trans can only be off center by 0.002" -- any more will cause issues.

One more thing -- since you are using a 258 trans, it's probably a 904 (assuming 72 or newer). Get a towing/RV shift kit and add a trans fluid cooler. Then it will probably be okay for a cruiser. If you plan on running it real hard you need more transmission or have the 904 built to take more power. Many drag racers build the 904 up, so there are plenty parts to do it. The 904 is lighter and takes less power to operate than the much stronger (and heavier) 727. A 998 or 999 would be better, just harder to find in 2WD (AMC used the 998 behind 304s, 258s in Jeeps and Eagles -- but 4WD).

If you have the 327 BW auto you might be better off using it, assuming it's in good condition. A bit harder to find someone to rebuild, but all bolts in. Then you just need to mod the driveshaft and rear mount to fit. If it's a torque tube trans you can get a later model driveshaft yoke and either leave the TT flange alone or cut it off -- the seal is the same. The TT yoke is too short to move in and out as you drive though.
Frank Swygert
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 10:09am
Here's MY take: Once you have the template to adapt the 250/287/327 to the later transmissions, attaching the 327 to the AW-4 would be the next logical step...
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 3:52pm
Is this one of those, "Just because I can" type of swaps or am I missing some sort of information that makes the 327 vigilante motor something special? Don't take it wrong I think it is cool to get a WTF is that reaction from people and this is certainly one of those cases. But pretty tough endeavor to say the least and on that front it would have frsutrated me to the point of changing everything over to a 360 or better. Very cool motor though.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepconvert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 6:20pm
This is definitely 70% "because I can" 20% because "I want to" and 11% "because I have to" - type endeavor. The original trans was a t18 that was taken apart god knows how long ago and currently sits in approximately 2.7 bajillion pieces scattered throughout the previous owners garage, and is therefore not an option. I'm building the plate right now with the help of a few buddies. Ill post a finished photo once its done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic