TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

327 to 360 conversion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 327 to 360 conversion.
    Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 3:25pm
Thinking of doing a swap form a 327 to a 360 in a 66 Rambler because of the availability of performance parts. (Would like to get it up to 350-375 HP) .  I found a rebuilt 360 and tranny from a Jeep J10. So here is my question. 1. Will the AMC 360 work with the existing transmission? If not will the Jeep transmission fit?  What do I need to know to take on a job of this magnitude? Never done an engine swap to a completely different engine before.

amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 3:44pm
What trans is in the 66 , auto , stick?
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 3:49pm
Can't answer mutch, but here is a bit of info and a suggestion of 2:

The 360 will not fit on the trans in the Rambler; the engines have different block patterns.

There were 2 common auto transmissions on the J10, a GM TH400 up to 79 and the Chrysler 727 in 1980 and up. Both of these were AMC specific versions with an AMC 360 block pattern except for the very early (70, 71?) 360 TH400 combos used the oddball nailhead pattern TH400 and a cast iron adapter. I think that was prior to them calling the truck a J10. Another thing to know about is the last 360 727 combos had a lock up converter. Not a big deal, but something to know about.

What year J10?

My opinion is the Chysler tranny is easier to deal with; it is a little lighter, was always used in the cars, and easier to arrange a speedometer cable. But actually I prefer the smaller 904/998 tranny as prepared correctly they are plenty strong, 30 lbs lighter, and fit the car better.

You will get differnt opinions on the above. All the transmissions are good.

With a 327 it must be a Marlin or Ambassodor or something, and that should have a torque tube rear end. That will be a major problem as the torque tube is part of the suspension. You will need to convert the rear suspension to a conventional setup. It will take good fabrication skills to complete the job.

66 Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 4:21pm
Its a 66 Rambler Rebel with the automatic transmission.  Really just looking to add some power as I would like to get it up to 350-375 hp but not sure I am a good enough fabricator to make a full on drive train swap a reality. 
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 4:32pm
Hop up the 327 some. It can be done, and there are a few enthusiasts for those engines on here.

Besides it will be really cool and rewarding to work on something that far from mainstream.

Of course there are lots of problems with parts availability, but adding some power is quite do-able.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 5:07pm
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 5:07pm
Engine/trans swap isn't the problem. The torque tube is the issue as it is part of the overall rear suspension and will not work with the 727/400 trans without some kind of adapter.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 5:22pm
The auto should a M10. IIRC all the iron warners have the same bell to trans bolt pattern . A 360 with the M11 M12 bell housing should bolt to the trans. You'll need to fab engine mounts.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 12:42pm
Your best bet is to warm up the 327. It can be done - parts aren't THAT hard to find....really....and you can get quite a bit of torque out of that engine. 4 bbl carburetor and a dual exhaust can really help.

Edited by SEdmonds - Feb/28/2015 at 12:52pm
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 3:47pm
I went to a gen 3 V8 in my 65 Classic because it was a 232. But if my car had been a 327 or even a 287, I would gave stuck with gen 1 power. The 327 makes good power and it's all down low, which is great for a street car. For its displacement, it was in the upper echelon of power in its time.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic