TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

327 into an American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 327 into an American
    Posted: Jul/08/2020 at 11:53am
I am wanting to find out if anyone on here has swapped a 327 into an American? I know Bill Kraft did it in the early 60's, and I have been told "it can fit, it should fit, try it and see, etc..." but I really can't afford speculation, or guesses, I was really hoping someone has done it.
Is there a difference in engine bay size - width - from the 64's up to the 69's? Knowing the engine bay changed in 66 - I think - might make the decision easier, if it is wider, or is it just slightly longer? Since I have a Classic, and know little about Americans, I have many questions - LOL!
I was also told the doors, and some other parts from my classic would fit certain year Americans(64 and newer?), does anyone know that info, also? If possible, I would like to use as much of my car on another, as possible, interior, steering, etc...but it may not be possible.
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get ahead of the game.
Thanks,
Cricket
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2020 at 12:19pm
66 American engine bay is a bit longer, but I don't believe it's any wider than a 64-65 American.

I'm sure it can be done. A 2nd gen V8 would be so much easier! Wink
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2020 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

66 American engine bay is a bit longer, but I don't believe it's any wider than a 64-65 American.

I'm sure it can be done. A 2nd gen V8 would be so much easier! Wink
Yes, a 2nd gen would be much easier, but I don't have one, what I do have is a 29,000 mile 327 in my 66 Classic, with everything good but the body rust.
If I could find a good 63-66 2 dr hdtp big body car, it would even be much easier, but finding a decent body on one is harder than finding an American.
Thx.
Cricket
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2020 at 12:33am
the 64 and 65 bay is 2 inch shorter than the 66 even a second gen engin is tight on the firewall and up front but width is the same some measuring of engines would need to be done I gained some space by moving the radiator in front of the rad support
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2020 at 11:12am

You will spend more dough modifying than it would cost to use a 4.0 or a Gen 2 V8.

If you must use the 327 use 66 down classic or ambo.

Good luck,

Ron B.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2020 at 11:33am
Now I'm going to advise you the OTHER way. 

IF you're willing to do your homework...IF you can take accurate measurements...IF you have the requisite skills to deal with any problems that DO arise--and they will...

Then go ahead and build it the way YOU want to build it. Half of the accomplishments in my life are what I achieved while half the people around me were telling me, "It can't be done," or "You can't do that."
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2020 at 11:38am
Yeah, I'm headed in that direction, real hard. Now I just gotta' find a decent shell 63-66 big body car with a clean title, and those are nearly impossible to locate. Every one I find, the person tells me it has no rust, and when looking it over, the first thing you find is large bubbles under paint, crunchy vinyl tops, paint peeling where it goes under chrome trim, etc...so they have no idea what rust does. I guess if they can't see it directly, or at an angle, they just say it does not have any. I once looked at a car with a vinyl top, owner said no rust. When I pushed on a soft spot on the roof, my thumb went through, and large flakes of rust fell inside - I did not know the headliner was out - but obviously he did, and decided not to tell me. He then proceeded to get mad at me, telling me I ruined his rust free car, and I then have to buy it. I told him to call the cops, and I walked away. He never spoke to me again, and he lived 2 blocks over! The car rotted to the ground, and the junk yard hauled it off 6 years later. I also had one person tell me their car was in very good shape, so I asked if it had any quarter rust, or underside issues. They said "well, it has "some" rust, and a couple holes, but nothing too bad", and the frame looks pretty good. Havent figured out what they think "some" rust is, or how a frame can be "pretty" good!
Thanks,
Cricket
Originally posted by amxron amxron wrote:

You will spend more dough modifying than it would cost to use a 4.0 or a Gen 2 V8.

If you must use the 327 use 66 down classic or ambo.

Good luck,

Ron B.
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2020 at 3:27am
If you do this,please keep us posted with lots of photos. The 287 & 327 AMC's are one of the best looking engines ever produced and sitting in an American would very cool.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2020 at 6:29am
It's hard to find ANY 50+ year old car with NO rust. Rust in floors, around kick panel to toe board, cowl floor above heater, where seams go together, under vinyl tops (the worst, but also most fixable if not really bad), and around wheel opening lips is going to be common. Just how bad/hard to fix is the issue. I don't think you will find one that doesn't have at least SOME rust in those areas or has been fixed.

There are some underhood photos of the Kraft 413 powered 64 here: https://jubileejeeps.org/327/418.htm. ; Nothing real good, but it does show fit. Looks like there may be custom tube headers, but stock logs should fit. It's tight, but not exceptionally so. Remember though, the 343 Americans made in 1966 had twisting issues, which is why it was dropped and only a 4V 290 was put in from the factory until the 69 SC/Rambler. The SC had all the convertible bracing installed in the hardtop body to limit twisting under heavy acceleration. There was little twist with a stock 390 and street tires, slicks and some hop-up work might be a different story. Adding a four or six point roll bar for competition would stiffen it some though.
Frank Swygert
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2020 at 8:02am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Remember though, the 343 Americans made in 1966 had twisting issues, which is why it was dropped and only a 4V 290 was put in from the factory until the 69 SC/Rambler.  

I'm pretty sure you could get a '67 Rogue with a 343...
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic