TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

3 Speed Sticks in 3rd...Sort of.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 Speed Sticks in 3rd...Sort of.....
    Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 12:14am
Used to do it once in a while. Now does it just about every day. 3 Speed manual transmission. 1959 Rambler. 196 engine. Transmission sticks in 3rd gear even when the lever is in reverse, first or second. If I am real careful and downshift in reverse order, not skipping 2nd gear from 3rd to 1st, it does not stick as much. Usually going from 2nd to 1st gear, if I did not get it up to 3rd, and it will not get caught in 3rd...but sometimes it does.

Transmission rebuild is probably needed unless some of you have any ideas.
If you don't take a chance, you never had a chance!
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 8:00am
Got to ask how do you get it un-stuck?
A guess you can grab the rods going to the trany and move the lever to get it out right?

Now I am going by what my dad would run into on a 66 Dodge van as it too would get hung up between gears. He could grab the rods going to the trany and get it unstuck.
It was caused by the column lever "key" that needed to fall into slots that would grab either of the rods to move being warn out.
The key was too thin and would now fall between the 2 slots and get hung up.

Not knowing your car follow the rods & linkage to see if you have the same thing? I want to say there was a post about this also. Maybe do a search to see what you come up with.

Good luck
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 8:06am
Steering column linkage for manual transmission worn out causes this.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Guitar Nigel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 9:07am
Yep. I can open the hood and grab the linkage and try to get it back into alignment but it is hit and miss. Most of the time, I put it in neutral and push the shift leved all the way forward and it will usuall reset itself. Uncljohn, the steering column linkage was one of my thoughts, too. There is a rubber grommet/spacer that may be worn out. I calles Galvins for a replacement but no luck so far. I did a forum search. Will keep searching now that I know there was a similar thread at one time.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 1:15pm
What happens most of the time is the "plug" in the bottom of the column gets worn out. If you look at the base of the column just below the shift levers you will find two or three screws holding the end in the column. Those screws go into a plastic end piece that holds the lower bearing. The screws are in slotted holes, slots are at an angle. You might be able to loosen the screws and twist the end piece, tightening it toward the firewall. Be careful tightening the screws, as the end piece is usually made of plastic and it gets fragile with age. I have removed the screws, pushed the piece up, rotated it, then drilled new screw holes. Use a small drill bit just a bit smaller than the screws. Try self tapping screws and you'll probably break the piece -- I've done that too! If it breaks, you can make another out of wood. Column must come out to replace, but a wood one works just as good as the plastic. Keep a little grease on the contact surface.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 8:06pm
I will certainly look at that end of the collumn. I was thinking it may be the gear shift lever snubber at the steering wheel end. Will replace it anyway if I have to pull the collumn to replace the plug. Many thanks
mustang50lx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang50lx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 8:10pm
We had a 69 Chevy pick-up at works years ago that used to do that all the time.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2015 at 7:01am
The only problem on the gear shift end of the column that I've ever seen is the hole in the boss that holds the lever worn. That can "wobble" out and cause problems. Only way to fix that is to drill all the way through and make a steel bushing. By the time it's worn enough to cause issues putting a larger diameter roll pin in is out of the question. Filling with epoxy then drilling back out after it cures 24 hours will work for a short time. Not sure how long epoxy would hold up -- depends on the epoxy for one thing. I'd think that would be a good repair for a hobby car that isn't driven much, but I'd use a steel bushing for a daily driver. Drill so that a short section of steel rod is a tight press/drive in fit then drill the rod for the roll pin after installing. Would be hard to do with a hand drill -- a press with a vice might be needed. A machine shop wouldn't charge too much to do that if you don't have a press and vice, but make sure they use steel instead of bronze or aluminum for a bushing. 
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2015 at 1:46pm
Got it! For future reference: Outer steering tube is secured in place by tightening the two halves of the steering column together. Last owner apparently had the same problem as there was a worn out piece of inner tube wrapped around the tube. It was simply slipping up and down when shifting. I wrapped a piece of leather around the tube and then tightened the steering column with a cordless impact driver. I did have to adjust and find the sweet spot on the shift linkage assembly (held on the steering column tube by a C clamp system). So good to have it back on the road.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic