TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

3 spd hung up in first

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 spd hung up in first
    Posted: Aug/09/2017 at 7:10pm
my 64 American 6cyl 3 spd was driving fine until the stick dropped a few inches and would not budge. I had to drive in first gear for a few to get it home. Can't get the shifter to move at all. Not experienced with manual transmissions and clutches. Studied the tsm but doesn't help me. Searched this forum too. Where do I start. I know where I can end and that would be a trans mechanic shop. Hoping someone could shed some wisdom. Pics included.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2017 at 7:45pm
To determine if it is a problem with the column shifter or the transmission, disconnect the shift rods from the transmission shift levers under the car.  There will probably be a couple of cotter pins to pull and the shift rods will slide out of the bushings in the shift levers.  Then you can try to manipulate the shift levers until you can get them both into neutral.  If you can't move them, there's a problem with the transmission.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2017 at 11:48pm
what Joe says... chances are it's the shifter linkage, where it comes out of the firewall, concentric tubes that translate shift lever motion to the two shift rods. it's probably all worn out, there's a sort of interlock there, the pin is supposed to slide into the other level only at the NEUTRAL position but when it's worn out, the shifter changes levers when the transmission is still in first.

m first car was a '65 classic. it did this all the time. i learned to clutch in, pull over, turn off car, open the hood and wrestle the shift lever thingies back into place and drive off. 

joe's test is a good one. the transmission has an internal interllock that allows only one l;ever to move at a time -- 1-R and 2-3. it takes a fair amount of force, but put on a pair of gloves and wrestle with them, you'll figure out quick what's stuck.

ther TSM has a procedure for adjusting the shifter. i think you do it with the rods off, so you're not wasting your time with the test for sure. i'm pretty sure it involves putting a dowel or drill into some index holes and adjusting the linkage. it may be worn out. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tamvette68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2017 at 7:53am
thanks to you both...I will try that later today.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 11:25am
OK got under the car and no problem with shifting the transmission. The problem is the shift linkage on the steering column. I guess I'll have to post in parts wanted for the linkage and bushings, etc., or is there a supplier somewhere of new repop parts??? Does anyone know of a post that will help me pull the column and replace the parts? I do have a TSM.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 11:38am
Try shifting the car from first to second by going up further than normal toward reverse (at the upper edge of the neutral gate), squarely going through neutral and then up to second. I had two like that and I drove them for years, simply shifting it so that it did not jam. My wife couldn't get to the corner without jamming them.  I never fixed them because it was ok if shifted the special way. The would only jam if it was shifted by pushing the shifter toward second in one motion, rather than up, through neutral, and up to second.
When it did jam, I went under the hood and lifted one shift rod at the steering column until it was freed up. Chock the wheels so the car does not roll away.

Edited by 6768rogues - Aug/15/2017 at 11:45am
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 11:49am
Careful shifting may help as above, but of course the shift linkage was a little more forgiving when new.  The bushing (plastic plug) on the lower end of the shift column can be adjusted to tighten up the linkage to a point.  It is a wear part and eventually will wear to the point that adjustment does not good.  Farna here on the forum has made a replacement out of wood.  I think Blaser's in Illinois can sell you a new one but be sitting down when they give you a price.  Also the c-shaped spacer between the shift levers can wear and make the shifts less accurate.  Blaser's has that overpriced parts too because I have bought one. I would try adjusting the lower bushing first because that does not require disassembly.  If you do need to disassemble the column, the TSM gives good directions I think.  I have done it both with an automatic and standard column.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 2:21pm
ok thanks I will try. I could not move the shift lever from inside the car from first to anywhere. I'm tempted to pull the whole thing as a learning experience. Not sure yet. I'll call Blasers just to see if I need to become a carpenter and make one out of wood.
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 4:10pm
I also had a three speed that would hang up and like others have said shift easy and if it does hang up I went under the hood and could pry on the linkage and free it up
green70AMX
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 4:27pm
The ones I have driven hang up when shifting from first to second. Wear allows them to go through the neutral gate too early. Pushing the shifter away and up to go from 1 to 2 usually causes the jam. As I said above, hold the shifter from going through the neutral gate until you are almost to reverse, at the upper end of the neutral gate, and then go squarely through neutral and into second. If that works, and it always has for me, you can master that shift and never have problems again. Instead of putting my palm on the shifter and pushing it up and away, I encircle my thumb and forefinger around the shifter and hold it in the 1 to reverse movement until it is high on the neutral gate, then squarely drop through the gate and into second. Sometimes it is necessary to kind of reverse the procedure when going from 3 to 1. After a little practice, it is normal driving.

Edited by 6768rogues - Aug/15/2017 at 4:31pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic