TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

290 Intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 10:46am
yes,1-2 inches

67 american 290/4speed
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 10:48am
Originally posted by 245Smoke 245Smoke wrote:

I do have one more, probably and important question?  How do I find the engine date?  I am not the original owner and I am wondering if this is the original engine or has it been swapped, and it may be newer than a 69, and if that is the case, that will determine which intake I can use for the engine.

if it says 290 on the side of the block,it for sure won't be any newer than 69

67 american 290/4speed
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

I stand corrected.

The 290 intake should weigh about 50~

EGR manifolds are a tad over 70.

I have two, a 304 2V and a 1975 401 4V

Both are 70 give or take.

Aluminum intakes vary a bit but I bet most at are under 15 lbs.

From an old post of mine from 2011.

"According to my bathroom scale.

Eddy Performer = 16 pds

3195532C AMC 4bbl = 53pds

37pds"

Figure I better repost before it gets lost.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/weight-diff-aluminum-intake-manifold-vs-stock_topic27616.html
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by 245Smoke 245Smoke wrote:

I do have one more, probably and important question?  How do I find the engine date?  I am not the original owner and I am wondering if this is the original engine or has it been swapped, and it may be newer than a 69, and if that is the case, that will determine which intake I can use for the engine.

All 290's are basically the same and all use the same intake pattern, unless the heads have been swapped at some point.  The build date of the engine would be on the front of the Right Hand Valve cover, embossed in an Aluminum Tag. with Phillips screw int he middle.  If you have aftermarket valve covers, you are out of luck...most likely gone.  If you have stock valve covers, and not on the RH side front, look at the left hand side rear....since that swap, many times, since the valve cover will fit interchangeably 
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 12:41pm
There are times you have to get creative with vacuum lines :-)

I have a performer and a air gap. The air gap is clearly a bit bigger.

Also it will have a far cooler plenum and runners not being
exposed to hot oil and exhaust cross over.

I would go with the air gap.

People underestimate the 290, it may be heavy but it will eat a Chevy 283 for lunch.

Gremlin Dreams
245Smoke View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 245Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 3:56pm
There is the problem, I do not have original valve covers, I have aftermarket chrome valve covers.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 7:44pm
The heads are date coded with a casting date under the valve cover. The engine usually is also, it's in the lifter valley. Assembly was a few months after casting.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 5:50am
290s were only used in 66-69, so yours is in that range. Just look for the 290 on the side under the engine mount plate. Without the original valve covers you can't determine an exact date, but the casting code will at least narrow it down to the year the block or heads were cast. They can be 2-3 months apart as well, so don't assume the heads or block have been changed unless the codes are more than three months apart.  
Frank Swygert
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 8:13am
The OE 290/343 4V intake was low rise. The OE 390 intake has slightly higher rise runners and will bolt right on a 290, but your OE 2V air filter will likely be too tall to fit under the hood. The 4V air filter canister is a lower profile. I have a R4B in my Javelin and had to use an aftermarket drop base filter for clearance.

The factory iron intakes are heavy, but not as bad as the FE Ford ones.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 9:33am
Okay guys, I know this post is over a month old but I finally am continuing with my upgrades, I am going with the Edelbrock 7530 RPM Air Gap intake and was wondering if my original OE 2V air filter will fit with this intake?
Bill Lang
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic