TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

290 Intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

I stand corrected.

The 290 intake should weigh about 50~

EGR manifolds are a tad over 70.

I have two, a 304 2V and a 1975 401 4V

Both are 70 give or take.

Aluminum intakes vary a bit but I bet most at are under 15 lbs.

I weighed an Offy 360 Equaflow a few years back, and I think it was about 19 or 20. 
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 11:28pm
if your planning on a after market intake the performer or the air gap is the best choice I found the r4b was a waste of money its to much like stock and the runners are to small to flow any air I have a torqer intake on my 290 but it has a 540 cam solid lifers and it loves every bit of gas I give it runs 12.30 in a 1/4
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 4:33am
I no longer have an Offy, but they were heavy compared to a Torker.
Gremlin Dreams
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 7:20am
fwiw, I've got a spare 290 4bbl intake (3186925-c) but be aware it's 65# shipped.
they ARE some heavy buggers
if you're interested, pm me

67 american 290/4speed
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 7:58am
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

if your planning on a after market intake the performer or the air gap is the best choice I found the r4b was a waste of money its to much like stock and the runners are to small to flow any air I have a torqer intake on my 290 but it has a 540 cam solid lifers and it loves every bit of gas I give it runs 12.30 in a 1/4
The R4B has bigger runners and plenum than the Performer. Not sure how it compares to the Air Gap, but I would be surprised if the Air Gap had runners any bigger than the R4B.
245Smoke View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 245Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 10:15am
If I use the R4b intake, will it raise the height of the air filter box?  I am using an Edelbrock Chrome box.
245Smoke View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 245Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 10:18am
I made sure all the bolts are removed, just cannot get the intake off, guess I better find my goose neck pry bar!
245Smoke View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 245Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 10:21am
Boris, after looking at the pictures of a dual plane, I don't think it has all the holes I need to match my intake, what I mean is I do not see the hose coming off of the brake booster going into the front side of the intake (vacuum).  And I also have an air conditioner mounting bolt that goes into my intake?
245Smoke View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 245Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 10:27am
Guys after all the great responses, I guess I should have included some additional info.  My 290 has factory air and also has a vacuum line coming from the brake booster feeding into the front side of the present intake manifold.  I do want to keep the A/C and would like  the brakes to continue to work, as my wife drives this car to and from shows.  Now with all that being said, what 4 barrel intake would work with the 1969 290 engine?  Thanks much in advance.
245Smoke View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 245Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 10:40am
I do have one more, probably and important question?  How do I find the engine date?  I am not the original owner and I am wondering if this is the original engine or has it been swapped, and it may be newer than a 69, and if that is the case, that will determine which intake I can use for the engine.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic