TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

287 to 327 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btmendenhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 287 to 327 Swap
    Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 4:02pm
Hi Everyone,
I am sure that this is already on here somewhere, i just couldnt find it with search, so apologies in advance.
I have a '64 Classic 770 with a 287. The motor is out of the car for rebuild and the block needs a lot of work. Is it possible to swap a 327? If so, what sort of magic do i need to do to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 4:26pm
Yes they will but there are fa few catches (motor mounts being one), especially if you want to do a transmission swap at the same time.
I'll direct you to this post for lots of info:
btmendenhall View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btmendenhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 5:14pm
Thank you for sharing! I read through and there was definitely some helpful info in there. It sounds like the 287 to 327 is pretty much a bolt-in once you drill and tap the bosses on the block for the bellhousing?

One thing i saw that raised a question.... Does the 287 only work with the M8, and the 327 only work
with the M10? I just rebuilt the trans, which i am guessing is the M8 (not sure how to tell). This might be a deal breaker if it's the case. 

On a totally different note, i saw there is a way to stroke the 287 using Honda rods... What crankshaft do you use? 
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 5:27pm
Any 1963 and later 327 is a direct bolt in to a 63-66 Classic, or any other big body Rambler. You only have to bother with drilling and tapping motor mounts holes if you have an older car; IE - 1962 and earlier, but not yours.
Yes, you can use your M-8, it is actually more desirable by many, because the TV cable on the 65-66 transmissions can be troublesome.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btmendenhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Cricket Cricket wrote:

Any 1963 and later 327 is a direct bolt in to a 63-66 Classic, or any other big body Rambler. You only have to bother with drilling and tapping motor mounts holes if you have an older car; IE - 1962 and earlier, but not yours.
Yes, you can use your M-8, it is actually more desirable by many, because the TV cable on the 65-66 transmissions can be troublesome.

Thanks! l guess I'm on the lookout for a 327 cylinder block..

Other than pistons and the intake manifold, are all parts compatible between the two? I already have a 327 4-barrel intake and need pistons for the rebuild regardless. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 6:34pm
YES. Not much point in me saying much here, as I answered most questions in the linked post!!

Except for bore the 287 and 327 are identical. So just pistons/rings/block are different. You can't bore a 287 out to 327 bore! There is a 1/4" bore difference between the 250/287/327 (3.50", 3.75", 4.00"-- same forged crank and rods). Most part from the 250 will interchange as well, but the 250 has mechanical lifters. I don't know if the 250 can be converted over to hydraulic or not, may not have the required oil passages, though I think it should. People used to change over to the 250 mechanical lifters for high rpm performance 327s, but not much point in that any more! Can't buy a cam with a really high lift for the 327 since the late 60s.
Frank Swygert
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 6:39pm
Like others have said..63 and up 327 block is direct replacement as to mounting location...engine cushions. 
The 2 to 4 bbl conversion has an issue with throttle cable and transmission kick down linkage.   It must be dimensionally the same as 2 bbl.  I'd test for the 2 bbl...then install 4 bbl.  This is critical.  The mounting location on 4 bbl are different...fyi

Edited by Rebel327 - Aug/10/2020 at 6:58pm
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btmendenhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

YES. Not much point in me saying much here, as I answered most questions in the linked post!!

Except for bore the 287 and 327 are identical. So just pistons/rings/block are different. You can't bore a 287 out to 327 bore! There is a 1/4" bore difference between the 250/287/327 (3.50", 3.75", 4.00"-- same forged crank and rods). Most part from the 250 will interchange as well, but the 250 has mechanical lifters. I don't know if the 250 can be converted over to hydraulic or not, may not have the required oil passages, though I think it should. People used to change over to the 250 mechanical lifters for high rpm performance 327s, but not much point in that any more! Can't buy a cam with a really high lift for the 327 since the late 60s.

Did i read the wrong post? The one above was about a guy doing a 6 to 8 swap on an Ambassador. Most of the info was about motor mounts and drivetrain from 6 to 8....
Regardless, thank you for the info above. I think i have what I need to move forward. This was very helpful!!!
Edit: it was a Rambler Custom, not an Ambassador. 

Edited by btmendenhall - Aug/10/2020 at 6:43pm
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btmendenhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Rebel327 Rebel327 wrote:

Like others have said..63 and up 327 block is direct replacement as to mounting location...engine cushions. 
The 2 to 4 bbl conversion has and issue with throttle cable and transmission kick down linkage.   It must be dimensionally the same as 2 bbl.  I'd test for the 2 bbl...then install 4 bbl.  This is critical.  The mounting location on 4 bbl are different...fyi

I wasnt aware. I still have all of the 2bbl stuff, so ill check everything. Thanks! 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2020 at 4:11am
I think you read it right. A 63+ 287/327 directly interchange, that's all you really need to know! A 63-66 motor can be fitted in an older car that had a factory V-8, but you may have to drill and tap the forward mounting bosses. 56-62 V-8s don't have the bosses in the block for the more centered motor mounts of the 63-66 models. It's possible to make adapter plates if necessary, but the most commonly found motors are 63-66 anyway.

The kick-down linkage is slightly different between 2V and 4V carbs with the 65-66 M-10 trans (with TV cable -- that doubles as a kick-down cable). The M-8 uses an electric kick-down switch which is easier to adapt and adjust. It just has to be mounted somewhere so that it's depressed when at wide open throttle. Same with later model M-11/12 transmissions (and the M-4x aluminum models).

Edited by farna - Aug/11/2020 at 4:14am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic