TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

287 carby trouble

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

That power valve may not fit the 2209. FSJunkie seems to be familiar with the 2209 and states it uses a different power valve than the later Holley 2V and 4V carbs. 

I understand the issue with ethanol gas and cars that sit a long time, but that's not just ethanol gas, it's modern gas. The fuel is engineered to atomize easier for EFI, which also means it evaporates easier. Ethanol enriched gas might evaporate/degrade slightly faster than non-ethanol, but modern non-ethanol gas degrades at about the same rate as ethanol enriched.

This is correct. The 2209 is a completely different design than the newer 2300 series Holley. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/TypicalViews/pages/2209.html

I also agree about modern oxygenated gas, it is the cause of some of the headaches people blame solely on the ethanol.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 3:07pm
The Holley 2209 and the Rochester 2G are very similar in their design and construction. You will know your way around a 2209 if you've ever messed with a 2G on a GM car. Especially a tri-power that uses three of them. Wink

I did a lot of research in college on how the formulation of gasoline has changed over the years. It is not a short explanation. Partially explaining something but not fully explaining it is how most of the (usually partially correct but mostly wrong) myths about modern gas started. It would be rude of me to derail the original purpose of this post (Holley 2209 problems) with a big essay about how vintage gas compares to modern gas. If that is a discussion we wish to have, I suggest we move it to a separate thread. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

The Holley 2209 and the Rochester 2G are very similar in their design and construction. You will know your way around a 2209 if you've ever messed with a 2G on a GM car. Especially a tri-power that uses three of them. Wink

I did a lot of research in college on how the formulation of gasoline has changed over the years. It is not a short explanation. Partially explaining something but not fully explaining it is how most of the (usually partially correct but mostly wrong) myths about modern gas started. It would be rude of me to derail the original purpose of this post (Holley 2209 problems) with a big essay about how vintage gas compares to modern gas. If that is a discussion we wish to have, I suggest we move it to a separate thread. 

Full blown tri-power expert here and I agree.

Would really like to read your research.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
titan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote titan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 6:50am
I think the problem is solved. I removed the power valve cleaned it up and lubricated it and the engine is running so much better. Thanks for the info and help.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 5:02am
I'm not sure where you guys are getting that there are no rebuild kits available for the 2 BBL Holly.  They're readily available at Autozone.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/carburetor-kit/gp-sorensen-carburetor-kit/60813_581701_0

Completely agree about ethanol gas too.  BAD juju

On top of everything else, it burns hotter, which promotes oxides of nitrogen.  They, it turn, can cause acid rain.  
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 5:28am
Originally posted by gtoman_us gtoman_us wrote:

Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Full blown tri-power expert here and I agree.

Would really like to read your research.
Yep, I have a 2GE on my Buick 231 V6. Original carburetor, actually. 
-------------------

My research may be discussed in a private message. I will not discuss it here in public. 

Edited by FSJunkie - Apr/22/2018 at 6:18am
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 7:15am
Originally posted by rms827 rms827 wrote:

I'm not sure where you guys are getting that there are no rebuild kits available for the 2 BBL Holly.  They're readily available at Autozone.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/carburetor-kit/gp-sorensen-carburetor-kit/60813_581701_0

That kit is for a Holley 2300, not the Holley 2209. Yet again, the 2209 is a completely different design. At no point in the thread was it mentioned the 2209 rebuild kits were unavailable, only that most are incorrect or incomplete.

By the way, if at all possible only use a genuine Holley rebuild kit on a 2300. Most of the "parts store" rebuild kits have substandard parts. Since the pump diaphragm and bowl gaskets are black, one has no way of knowing if they are alcohol resistant. At least the kit shown uses the correct style needle and seat. The "tall lock-nut" aftermarket needle and seat assemblies are garbage and will ruin the threads in your float bowls.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 6:21pm
I got a rebuild kit from Napa for my 2209 about five years ago.   
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
twdsls2000 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twdsls2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 7:39pm
Does anyone know if this newer Holley 2300 you speak of will bolt right onto my existing 287 2 bbl intake manifold? I have a 66 Rambler 287 here with a very tired and beat 2209 Holley carb. Its been nothing but trouble. I am looking for a new carb that will bolt right onto my existing intake manifold. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 4:02am
I am fairly sure that the 2300 will bolt to the intake manifold made for the 2209. I'd recommend finding an original Rambler 2300 meant for the Rambler V8 because it will be already sized and calibrated for your engine and not require a bunch of adjustments. It will also have all the connections and linkage configurations that you need. A generic 2300 may not have the right connections including the throttle linkage or transmission cable location. 

I think the 2300 was used before 1965 on the 287, maybe the 327 and 250. In any case, one of them would likely bean easier swap than a generic 2300 or a 2300 from a different application.

The Motorcraft 2100 or 2150 will bolt to the 2209 intake, I know that much. The linkge could be mde to work with little trouble. The 2100 and 2150 are VERY good carburetors if you wish to stick with a 2bbl. 

It is a little more work and cost, but finding the factory 4bbl intake and original 4150 or 4160 carb that matched it is a worthwhile swap. I replaced my 2209 with a factory 4bbl intake and matching 4160 with excellent results. It runs a lot better than the 2209, even though there was nothing wrong with my 2209. The 4160 is simply a far superior carb. So is the 2300. So is the 2100/2150. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic