TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 Upgrades?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2007 at 10:02am
Make sure you squirt some oil in the cylinders while your doing things.
I stuck a motor once steam cleaning it and letting it sit for a week or two before I got back to it.
   It was only a Ford motor so no big dealClap
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2007 at 4:37pm
we used professional plugs on every hole ... should be fine!

I'm leaning towards just replacing the timing chain, checking the top and bottom out, putting on  fresh coat of paint, new belt, ect .. and dropping it into the rambler after pulling the old engine / tranny out, cleaning/painting the bay/old tranny, and matting it to the auto and be done with it. 

I still have some floor pans in the back to fix, shocks to replace, tires to replace, keys, ect to take care off.  Don't want to mess around till winter on this thing!

What do I need to do to mate this up to a M-36?
1967 AMC Rambler
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2007 at 6:23pm
You won't be dissapointed in the performance of the 258 even with no mods.
To put it in you can use everything from the original engine.
  All AMC sixes are nuetral balanced it will all bolt up as-is.
We, my dad and I, did our 65 in 1979 and it all went together easy. He bought the 258 out of a Hornet at a true scrap yard, not a junkyard. He paid $60 for it and bought it by judging the oil and truning it over by hand to check for noise! It wasn't until we had installed it, swapping over the 232's two barrel and such, and got it running did we suspect something was up. It ran like it had a small 8 in it and I said so to my dad. At that point he checked the block numbers and discovered it was a 258! It was a sweet running car. I still miss it. Well, some, the 4.0l T5 in mine now makes up for it LOL
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2007 at 7:28am
Thanks for the info and the story, got any photos to go along with it? :)
1967 AMC Rambler
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2007 at 10:58am
Sorry, no pics, it was a long time ago.
Car was lost in a garage fire...
30X50' garage rented by 5 guys.
We lost.
65 American 440 with the 258
65 Mustang coupe 289 4speed [factory equpped]
66 Mustang fastback 351W 4 speed
67 Mustang coupe 289 auto
73 Torino fastback 351C 4speed [factory equipped]
75 Ford F250 highboy 460 auto

All gone, no insurance on the place as they wouldn't write a policy till the wiring was updated. No the wiring didn't burn it down, it was some dork who was PO'd at the buildings owner! They never figured out which one of his many "PO'd customers" it was either. We got nothing...Dead

Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2007 at 12:06pm
Man that sucks, I bet that still stings.. very sorry to hear about it!

Well not much to do till next week as far as the engine goes, waiting on some research and tools.  Looks like I'm just going to make sure the engine is OK and drop it in the bay and run it.. can worry about the pretty stuff later.  I just want to drive!
1967 AMC Rambler
Eagle Kammback View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle Kammback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2007 at 12:44pm
Here's what I'd do:
Carb is wayt easier to work on, so don't convert to fuelie, supercharger not turbo, 6 into 6 exhaust with motorcycle baffles, three coming out on each side of the car (MAD MAX), DUAL QUAD CARBURETORS
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2007 at 2:44pm
Well for what I'm doing.. that would be a bit much!

My goal is a stock looking rambler with a monster under the hood..
1967 AMC Rambler
Eagle Kammback View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle Kammback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 7:44am
then why not find a 401? or a new 426 Crate Hemi or 572 Crate motor
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 8:02am
because I just dropped 4 c-notes on this 258 w/3 speed that I drove 1500 miles to pick up... thats why! :)

Besides I should be able to get plenty of power out of this block with all the upgrades out there.. carb, intake, head, turbo/super ( I have a ton of turbo chargers kicking around here ) TFI, EFI , ect.

Edited by BadTad - Jul/29/2007 at 8:04am
1967 AMC Rambler
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic