TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 turbo install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2019 at 9:41pm
No intercooler.The intake is wet from fuel and not dry like Fuel Injection.If the mixture is too cold it will puddle in the engine,run bad and foul the plugs.
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2019 at 10:18pm
Fortunately with turbo, when motor is cold, the heat of the compressed air helps with icing. As long as reasonable throttle is used. 
My older turbo build ,
72   258   2 brl blow thru @15lbs boost with heavy detonation 
Ran 14.15 qtr.  98mph    69 AMX w/998TF modified w/ John Donatto's
Info. Daily driven six years till parked  for different toys. 
Even with the detonation my tear downs showed minimal damage. 
 Still have it in corner of shop. Ran this at Car Craft & Hot Rod several years. 
Sr. Lab tech, retired, Turbo Lab, Schwitzer Corp. now part of Borg Warner
Mark Rancourt 
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2019 at 3:47pm
At 5 psi of boost and using a blow thru carb set up no need for an intercooler set up... I have an intercooler for it but left it off. Figure all the piping to and from the cooler including the volume of the cooler may actually hurt response. I have almost no lag in this set up and so far no issues with heat. I mainly built it as a winter car so most of the time it will sit on hot summer days anyways.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by racerkilla racerkilla wrote:

At 5 psi of boost and using a blow thru carb set up no need for an intercooler set up... I have an intercooler for it but left it off. Figure all the piping to and from the cooler including the volume of the cooler may actually hurt response. I have almost no lag in this set up and so far no issues with heat. I mainly built it as a winter car so most of the time it will sit on hot summer days anyways.
Still a cool car.
Softbuster View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softbuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2019 at 6:12pm
I have to ask tho, how hard is it to get to your oil filter after all this is on the passenger side? any pics of that?

Also you say you are running the factory 2bbl intake, would an offenhouser 4bbl intake help in this situation or does the turbo boost make it unnecessary??
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2019 at 7:20pm
Oil filter a tiny bit tight but still easy in and out. No picture but can reach entire hand up to spin it off. Or take air cleaner off and direct from the top. I actually tried a offenhauser dual port 4 barrel a few months back. Made it run run worse for normal driving. It raised the boost range from 1700-1800 to like 2300 so 500 more rpm to start building boost. I think the stock intake as the restriction to actually help spooling the turbo earlier.  No matter what I did it would go lean in 4 barrel with the offenhauser intake. I even run no jets in the secondaries, messed with vent tube extension and the air fuel ratio at idle drastically changed each time out. Be set one day perfect and next day idle at 18.1 then 11.1 etc. And no I did not have an intake leak. It was well sealed. It might of been worth a bit of power top end but for every day driving the stock intake wins as still has a stock cam and exhaust manifold. 

Edited by racerkilla - May/02/2019 at 7:23pm
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2019 at 7:25pm
https://youtu.be/Ln3qgnaE-_w

Also installed a trac lok and made it work on 2.35 rear gears
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2019 at 8:22pm
If you use a 4v I take use an open plenum,  ot the dual, port.  The DP would add restriction. An open plenum would work so much better with boost. I can't explain your results, maybe because the DP is much more restrictive with just 2v open, which would be the case at low speeds.
Frank Swygert
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2019 at 9:43pm
I tried a few different things with dual port. I run it separate runners with 4 hole spacer , open spacer, made a plate to block off half of the 4 barrel, plate with hole size restricted. If running the 4 barrel on just half the intake either small or large runner of the intake worked well. Full open either separate or open spacer would go lean wot. I think efi set up would of been way to go. I didn't want to invest the cash on that when the stock intake with adapter with my carb works very well for what it is. I feel like the stock intake makes more torque and useable power. I shift before 4K where I think a true 4 barrel intake would shine. 
Nodak68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nodak68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2020 at 9:33am
Outstanding project!  Thanks much for so much really great info too. You've given me all sorts of crazy ideas to take the 4.7 stroker I just finished installing in my 68 Rogue and upping the game with a turbo.  I'm resisting the urge until I have the rest of my engine and trans swap totally dialed in, but I have a feeling boredom during coronavirus lockdown may get the best of me...More research to follow.
That which does not kill us makes us stronger...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic