TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 on a flash o matic. ..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallGraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 258 on a flash o matic. ..
    Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 5:32am
Ok I have a 63 660 here in the UK, I've been searching for a long time for a 232 to swap out the 196 it runs, but they're impossible to find over here.
I've stumbled across a 258 engine and autobox out of a Pacer.
Would it be possible to hook up the 258 to the original gearbox by means of an adapter plate? Anyone tried it? Stupid idea?
I'm not going to be racing the car but a nice increase in cc's, torque and tuneability would be cool.
I don't want to swap out the torque tube transmission etc.
Cheers.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 6:05am
I've never heard of anyone trying that but maybe it is possible. 

There is also the first year of the 258 that you can look for that supposedly has the old bolt pattern. 1970?

Back in the late 70's or early 80's I remember picking up a chest in Vancouver from overseas. The cost was only $20. Sea freight might be relatively cheap but today that figure would probably be ten times what I paid.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 9:05am
Pretty much a no go. Unless you are a fabricator..
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 10:35am
On second thought, I'd say maybe a no-go because starters are on opposite sides. For sure the starter would need to remain on the left and I think it doubtful the new bolt pattern would allow that.
How late was the BW transmission used? If they made a bell housing to the new bolt pattern it would be easy.

Edited by vinny - Sep/03/2017 at 10:47am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 10:54am
The only way to install a newer six is to use a 64-71 199/232/258 (71 only for 258). They used the same bell housing to engine bolt pattern as the 196. You would need a bell housing and flywheel (or flexplate if auto)as well, since the 199/232 parts are slightly larger in diameter than the 196 parts. The 196 parts may bolt on and work, not sure.

The 196 needs the head retorqued every 2-3 years or 10-12K miles. If not you'll end up with a blown head gasket and possibly cracked head, as the first indication the head has worked loose is usually running hot.

To change to a later engine than 71, you need to change or modify the torque tube. There are lots of ideas here: http://theamcforum.com/forum/rear-end-swap-5666-classic_topic11214.html. I put a Jag IRS in mine. It's not terribly hard to replace the rear axle and suspension, but you do need some fabrication skills. The Jag IRS is actually pretty easy, but you will need to run the Jag wheels in back, which are deep offset and use a 5x4.75" bolt pattern. Standard AMC is 5 x 4.5". Here in the US dual pattern wheels are easy enough to come by. I run those all around, but you could just get a dual pattern spare. I use a 5" dual pattern wheel and tire as a "space saver" spare. Same size as the old VW Beetle tire.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 11:19am
What about using a bell housing from like a 69 290 that still used the BW trans?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 5:38am
That should work Vinny -- forgot about the V-8s using the same bell to engine pattern as the 72+ sixes. Neutral balance the V-8 flexplate (remove the weight) and probably use the V-8 converter...  The M-35 converter most likely won't work, ring gear is made onto converter and too small for one thing, but it might bolt to the V-8 flexplate anyway.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 9:32am
Yeah, if the bell housing would fit onto the transmission there would still be the torque converter problem. The 63 TC ring gear diameter would definitely be too small. In 65 and 66 the ring gear diameter was increased to be able to be used on the early 232. Those TC's of 65 and 66 fit the early transmissions. Whether they have the same ring gear diameter of a 290 with BW transmission I do not know. In 67 they changed the spline count so unlikely any TC 67 or newer will fit the old transmission.

Anybody got a picture of the flex plate and converter and ring gear from a 290 with the Borg Warner transmission? What is the ring gear diameter?

Another question, are any of the 232 autos after 71 still Borg Warner? That would probably make the job easy. 

Edited by vinny - Sep/04/2017 at 9:45am
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 12:31pm
65 and 66 ring gear diameters are 13". Older ring gear diameters for the 196 are 12 1/2".

Today I tried the 12 1/2" converter on the 65 and 66 transmissions and the 13" on the 64 transmission. They all fit across from one to the other but the bell housings were off at the time..

When I said they changed the spline count in 67 that is information supplied to me from someone else. I have not personally confirmed that but have no reason to doubt it.

Edited by vinny - Sep/04/2017 at 9:32pm
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2017 at 9:38am
So guys, what's the ring gear diameter on the V-8? How many bolts hold on the flex plate?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic