TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 Hi-Perf build with pics.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85amcfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2016 at 1:43pm
Hey guys I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what the stock valve height is on a 258? I'm putting in a new cam and it says the installed valve height is 1.8 is that acceptable?

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2016 at 5:38pm
I have been going be a basic rule of thumb that said if lift at the valve is less than .500 than the cam bolts in with out a problems, in essence the same as OEM. I do not know what valve height is as I never have had to know. I have used Iskenderian cams in 3 applications with out a problem
The 256 super cam and the 270 HL
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
85amcfreak View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85amcfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2016 at 7:21pm
The came I'm using is going to have max lift of .507

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2016 at 4:37am
Then that is where I would start referring to information in the cam manufactures catalog as to how to check for variables that are required to be correct for the use of said cam or, to be honest, purchase a different cam. Both Iskenderian and Comp catalogs I have are full of data to accomplish things I am not familiar with. And the catalog will step by step technical instructions.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2016 at 6:43am
That high a lift won't work with stock valve springs, and likely needs a lot stiffer springs. That also means running off-road racing oil or a high pressure additive (usually HDDP) all the time. No cat converter, no problem though. What cam are you using? 
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85amcfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2016 at 5:57pm
I'll be using the Voodoo Cam 256/262 and valve spring kit

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/262
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/220
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .484/.507
LSA/ICL: 112/108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1300-5400

I will also be running the high pressure additive. I use the zddplus additive in my cars now. Is that good for this cam?

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2016 at 6:41am
Yes, that additive is good. Engines with stock valve springs and pretty much daily drivers that aren't driven real hard very often will survive just fine without the additive, but it's not hurting them to use it.

IIRC the Lunati Voodoo is similar to the Comp Xtreme cams -- fast ramps and high lift. It will make a little noise, but should be a good cam. Not something I'd like for a street vehicle, but that's just my personal preference.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85amcfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2016 at 8:33am
Hey Farna
        I still change my oil every 2000 miles or every three months and I always use the additive just to be safe lol Even though you probably don't have to. Honestly since I converted the car to stick, her days as a daily driver are over. I really only use the car to go on pleasure drives and once in a while I take the car to work to show the kids what a carburetor and distributor looks like lol seriously I work with the kid that has never touched a carburetor. I'm sorry but I don't consider your mechanic if you just plug in your laptop and run a tune program. Maybe I'm just getting old.

232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2016 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by 85amcfreak 85amcfreak wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't consider your mechanic if you just plug in your laptop and run a tune program. Maybe I'm just getting old.

That is why we who work on today's cars have been given the title of "technician".  Although, I know how to work on the "old stuff", and make what I have work, and prefer to be called a mechanic.

By the way, I like your choice of cam.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85amcfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2017 at 1:41am
Well if you know how to work on the new & old stuff then I would consider you a mechanic. I hope the cam is good I guess we will see.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic