TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 4barrel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 258 4barrel
    Posted: May/27/2018 at 8:31am
Has anyone had any luck using a holley 390 carb on a stock 258? I have one on my car but I have a dead spot in the carb off idle. I can not seem to get rid of the dead spot. I can adjust it and get it to move in the rpm rage but can’t get rid of it.
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 8:09pm
I'd expect that you need a larger accelerator pump squirter.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

I'd expect that you need a larger accelerator pump squirter.

I may try that. That’s the only thing that I can think of that is the issue. It ran fine on a 231 Buick a few years ago so I figured both the Buick and my 258 were about the same power so I thought it may work. So far nothing I have tried has done any good.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 6:03am
An I6 has longer intake runners and a more pronounced vacuum signal then a V8 or V6.
It's likely getting too much air/fuel and bogging until it reaches an RPM  that vacuum signal to the carburetor steadies more.  Try jetting the carburetor down and see how it performs.

5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 1:08pm
I have tried up and down 2 sizes on jets did not make it any better the larger ones made it worse
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 3:20pm
Which intake do you have the 390 mounted on ?
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 3:22pm
Off idle would be pump shot thougb, main jets are later. Every 258 I've built with a 4 bbl Holley needed more pump shot. Most needed the high volume accelerator pump conversion.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2018 at 2:03am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

Which intake do you have the 390 mounted on ?

Clifford intake
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2018 at 12:47pm
I would start with a 31 squirter and a blue pump cam on position 2. Also run as much initial timing as you can get away with as that will help.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

I would start with a 31 squirter and a blue pump cam on position 2. Also run as much initial timing as you can get away with as that will help.

Timing is as high as the motor will take it and still crank good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic