TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 / 4.0 Head / 260H Cam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 10:46am
Yeah, costs a few $ up front but not all that bad when you consider how much time spent that you'll never get back from trying to wrestle the pig to the floor. I put one in my daily driver (injected). If I don't see 14.7 rolling or 12.8 working it, I know theres a problem.
tloftus View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tloftus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Yeah, costs a few $ up front but not all that bad when you consider how much time spent that you'll never get back from trying to wrestle the pig to the floor. I put one in my daily driver (injected). If I don't see 14.7 rolling or 12.8 working it, I know theres a problem.

I have seen those wideband O2 sensors.. definitely something to consider.  Pulled the lid off the carb today -- floats are close, but slightly off.  Primary jets are larger than factory settings.  Assuming the secondary jets are also, although I can't see a number on them to confirm so may just get a set of those also to be sure.

On one hand I'm glad to have found something wrong, hopefully it explains my flooding issue.  On the other hand if a guy tells you a carb is new when you buy it, it should be new (no one on this forum).

The question about fuel pressure... it is widely accepted that 5.5 is the absolute max for an Edelbrock.  When my fuel pressure gets above 4.5 is begins to bounce, so I turned it down to 4.  In troubleshooting this issue I turned it down to 3.  I will probably turn it back up to 4 as it doesn't seem to have affected the issue.

Also something I read is that the fuel filter with the return line -- the return line should be clocked to the 12 o'clock position.  Mine is not, but I will do that when I get everything put back together just to be sure.

After the idling I've done (cam break in, troubleshooting, etc) I did pull plugs and it is certainly running rich.  I cleaned them off and re-installed them.

Hopefully this jet, metering rod, spring issue takes care of things.  If not, I have not had exhaust work done yet so maybe I will have them weld in a bung for a wideband.

Thanks,
Tom

1966 AMC Rambler American Rogue - 232 I6
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1966-amc-american-rogue_topic20995.html

1978 AMC AMX - 258 I6
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1978-amc-amx_topic62333.html
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 3:07pm
Are you absolutely sure it's flooding? Black smoke?
Drop the largest metering rod you have in the hole and leave the springs out. Now you have no enrichment to interfere besides the pump shot.
FWIW, summit lists the Eddy carb as 6.5 max.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic