TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

250-287-327 V8 casting variations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 250-287-327 V8 casting variations
    Posted: May/26/2015 at 11:16pm
Hi all, long time reader occasional poster here. I've been doing some digging for a while now and cannot seem to find a definitive answer. Are there variations in the cylinder wall thickness for 250, 287 & 327 Gen 1 V8's?? I'm looking at buying a 287 from a 66 Classic to twin turbo for my Rebel, question is can it be bored to 327. I'm planning on putting 20-25PSI through this block so beefiness is key.

I have read some people say only the early 287 blocks have the thick cylinder walls..

Thanks everyone for your time
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 8:11am
I know with my 287 the machine shop said there was not enough material there to make it possible. Each block might be different though.
66 classic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 9:06am
I would like to get a definitive answer on this also, I am planning on doing this exact same thing. My 287 is at the machine shop waiting to be tore down for machining, I think a lot of shops don't want to take that much out of the cylinder walls because of the work involved, so they say it cant be done. I would like to know for sure. I will let you know what my shop says.

Jason
66 classic
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 9:09am
From what I recall the story was that if it is an early 63 287 block it may have the extra metal to bore it to 327.
None that I have heard of recently actually have enough casting to pull it off.
I would highly doubt a 66 would be thick enough.

Look at the flat behind the right cylinder head, if it is stamped 4 or bare, you've got a chance it will work.
Sonic test is the only way to tell for sure.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 9:41am
Thanks for the reply, So the stories about all the gen 1 blocks being cast the same are incorrect? What about the other parts like the crank and rods, Will they interchange?

Jason
66 Classic
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 10:25am
There is a good post from March 28th that has good info. on this topic.

Jason
66 Classic
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 11:50am
my 64 287 was not thick enough. I used a pair of calipers and checked the thickness slipping it down around a water jacket hole.
67Rebel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 6:23pm
Thanks for the answers everyone. It seems it might be a gamble, I think I'll just try track down a 327 block to be safe. Also has anyone had much experience with the rockers on there engines. I have heard that they can break quiet easily..
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 7:51pm
With twin turbos I doubt you'd notice a lot of difference between the 287 and 327.
Three different castings for the three blocks. There is 1/4" difference between bore of all three (3.5", 3.75", 4.00"), why would anyone cast a block with more than 1/4" thick cylinder walls.... unless it's a super heavy duty diesel.

I'm skeptical that any early thick cast blocks actually exists as well. Even for testing, why cast a block like that? Sleeving a 327 would be much cheaper to test with, and AMC wasn't known for wasting resources. A 3/8" cylinder wall block just makes no sense, for any practical purpose.
Frank Swygert
67Rebel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 8:57pm
Thanks for your input Farna. I must have readhundreds of pages of info written by you in the last week. You are a true enthusiast. I see what your saying about the castings, it doesn't seem logical to cast them so thick. However I have read certain theory's that the David Potter V8 was kind of rushed into production and AMC was not too concerned with refining the blocks so used the one casting. I also read in 'The New American Motors V8" one of the design objectives:

"1. An engine that would be flexible enough to be readily adaptable to future displacement requirements, compression-ratio changes, and any of the other forward reaching, revisions of the automotive industry today."

'Future Displacement Requirements' makes me put my thinking cap on..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic