TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

2500 Stall M12 Converter install pics...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2500 Stall M12 Converter install pics...
    Posted: Jul/13/2007 at 4:21am
 I got my 11" stall converter for the Borg warner 12 today! When I slide it over the splines on the output shaft of the tranny how many detents/clunks should I feel to fully seat the converter?  Is there a point of reference I can measure from to confirm that it is fully seated after I slide it on? Its a LOT smaller than the stock 13" BW converter so it is going to be easy to handle, just want to get it right the first time no matter how long it takes.  Also because the car sat for a few years there is some very minor surface rust on the splines of the trans shaft, what do you recommend to clean that off? Sandpaper, bristle pad?? Other than that the trans is mint, no leaks anywhere and it worked awesome when I pulled the engine, I will be changing the fluid as a precaution and to check the filter. Thanks for any tips.

Edited by 348AMX - Jul/15/2007 at 8:51am
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2007 at 4:44am
3 clunks
small spline
large spline
pump drive lugs

Converter Bolt pad faces should be maybe 1 inch behind the plane of the bell housing mounting face when converter is fully seated.  Once engine is attached to the bell housing, should need to pull converter forward maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch to have it come up against the flexplate.
On an AMC 727 the converter to flexplate bolt pattern is non-symetrical and only lines up all four converter bolts in one postion.  Due to a counterweight on the back side of the flexplate, the converter can NOT be rotated a full 360 degrees to align the mounting holes once the engine and bellhousing are pulled together.  So it is advised to determine converter to flexplate rotational alignment prior to pulling engine and bellhousing together.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2007 at 4:56am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

3 clunks
small spline
large spline
pump drive lugs

Once engine is attached to the bell housing, should need to pull converter forward maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch to have it come up against the flexplate.

This will take care of itself once the torque converter nuts are torqued down wont it??, in other words tightening the nuts will pull it into the flexplate, so as long as the converter studs go through the flexplate and the nuts go on this takes care of itself?  Should  I grease/oil the the hub and inside of the front pump seal? The converter splines and hub are already oiled as delivered from continental. Thanks

Edited by 348AMX - Jul/13/2007 at 4:58am
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2007 at 5:37am

You want a little trany fluid on the seal so when you start the motor the seal will not spin dry and damage seal, also pour a qt of trany fluid in the converter before you slide it on to the trany This way the parts are not spinning dry till fluid gets pumped in there.

The converter when pushed in to the trany all the way should have about half in. between bell housing face (flat edge) to converter. You are right that when you bolt it up to the flex plate it will pull it out some to where it will run all the time. Just bolt the housing to motor before converter bolts.

Dave ----

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2007 at 6:40am
All good advise.
Hint - don't use "regular" grease on automatic tranny parts...........esp inside the transmission. 
Do lube that seal! TRanny fluid or a thin layer of white lube.
Make sure that converter sits back and do watch as you reinstall. You can break a pump or worse if it's not all the way back.

348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2007 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

All good advise.
Hint - don't use "regular" grease on automatic tranny parts...........esp inside the transmission. 
Do lube that seal! TRanny fluid or a thin layer of white lube.
Make sure that converter sits back and do watch as you reinstall. You can break a pump or worse if it's not all the way back.

I know rick and jim warned me of that, If I run in to any problem I'll stop and give them a call before going any further, my cousin is going to help me with the install we did a small block camaro a few years back and we pulled the 343 so it will be pretty straight forward, but I will not rush the job.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2007 at 3:42am

It went in just fine, lubed the seal and front pilot on the converter that sits in the crank and spun it on one clunk and then 2 quick clunks while spinning set about 1" inside the housing spun it and you could hear the pump pumping fluid.  Converter is an 11" continental 2500-2800 stall and it fit perfectly,  here is a pic of it seated:

Edited by 348AMX - Jul/15/2007 at 8:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic