TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 rebuild questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 9:05am
It's a Sunnen Hone.  I have always called them "rod hones" because we used them when fitting or reconditioning or resizing rods but they were originally used for that as well as king pin fitting and more.
The hone part is long enough to go through a piston or a steering knuckle to hone both sides at once and in perfect alignment because they are rigid, unlike a typical hone.
(And they can be used to really true-up brake cylinders, too.)
I grew up using these to recondition rods - but I don't have a rod grinder - need to get one. You take material off the rod and cap where the cap meets the rod (very accurately) and then hone them true and to size for your bearings. You can use it to fit for full-floating pins, too.

It feeds oil on the parts as you hone and dials in the amount to take off - you can be pretty accurate with them.  I have a large assortment of arbors and stones.

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 11:25am
Bill, you need some apprentices or maybe become a school teacher to pass on some of that knowledge on how to use that equipment.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 1:32pm
Big smile  The HS auto shop teacher tried to suggest I could "teach" but went the tech direction.
I took all of the machine shop and other shop classes I could fit in and hung out with an engine machinist who worked in the local NAPA shop CC'ing heads, setting piston height, balancing and so on.
He actually taught me the ins and outs of the Sunnen hone like pictured.
nothingface5384 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothingface5384 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 8:55am
I'd find a 199 crank
Custom pushrod lengths
Ported 4.0 head
A converted 3 barrel from 12bolt.com(450cfm)
Then all the normal performance parts you plan to do

Edited by nothingface5384 - Feb/04/2018 at 9:00am
1972 Pro-Toured Buick Skylark Twin turbo efi 355 v8

1973 Pro-Toured Ford Maverick 302 v8

1975 Stock AMC Hornet 232 I6

1978 Stock Plymouth Volare 225 /6
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 12:58pm
I use those Sunnen arbor hones to hone new distributor shaft bushings to size. Sometimes I had to make a bushing from scratch with a piece of bronze stock on a lathe (old South Bend lathe), then finish honing them to size on the Sunnen hone after the bushing was installed because the bushing crushes down a little when driven into the distributor body.   

I also used a Sunnen arbor hone to enlarge the socket on my Mosin-Nagant M91/30s bayonet because it did not easily fit the muzzle. LOL
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 4:11pm
That three barrel  Holley conversion sounds like just the ticket for an inexpensive performance carb for a six. The only thing is it needs an open plenum intake. I prefer the Offy Dual Port intake, which the modified three barrel won't work on. You get a bit better low speed performance with the DP intake. If you have a Clifford or other open plenum intake the three barrel conversion would work well though. A lot cheaper than finding a 390-500 cfm 4V carb....  600 Holleys are plentiful and relatively cheap on the used market.

Lots of good reading at www.12bolt.com. Might be about Chevy sixes, but a lot of it applies to ANY I-6.
Frank Swygert
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 9:05pm
I have not owned an offenhauser dual port, any reason why you couldn't open up the plenum on the primary side to make use of that 3 barrel carb? I'm wondering if the dual port manifold would make good use of that carb?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 9:02am
The dual port manifold splits the primary and secondary sides of the intake. The runners are divided vertically with a horizontal divider most of the length of the runner, from carb base almost to the end of the runner. The primary runner is about 1/3 of the total runner area. The intake uses a four hole flange. with the primaries mounted to the outside, secondaries to inside (not front to back). You can't tell from photos, but both primary bores are usually NOT separated (same with secondaries). So the only issue would be that the single primary would be a little more toward one end of the engine, which could lead to the other end cylinder running a little more lean than usual. On an I-6 the front and rear cylinders tend to run slightly leaner than the others, but not enough to cause any issues. I don't think the position would be enough to cause any issues, but you could always run it a bit rich on the primary. The Chevy 230 that the three barrels is run on only has three siamesed intake ports. If it has no lean issues I wouldn't think the AMC six would.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic