TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 232- vaccum wipers off manifold?+ fuel pump Q's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232- vaccum wipers off manifold?+ fuel pump Q's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232- vaccum wipers off manifold?+ fuel pump Q's
    Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 9:22pm
Hi. Wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if there was a thread or if someone has succesfully ran thier vaccum wipers off the manifold.

I have a 1969 rambler with the 232 engine. I recently purchased a refurbished dual action pump which lasted about two drives. The pump is under warranty, but i have to send the bad one back so im guessing it will be a month before i get another one. I purchased a new single action pump today just so i can get the car running. I was thinking if there is a good way to run the wipers off the manifold, with using one of those air cans, maybe i can just get my money back for the bad refurbished dual action pump which will also save me a little $. Let me know what you think, thank you.

UPDATE: See page two. Have some questions about fuel pump compatibility

Edited by dirtydan - Jul/02/2017 at 12:14pm
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 12:49am
you can run the wipers off just manifold but they will slow down with acceleration because vacume drops off a canister will help I just had a brain fart find a 99 or newer diesel ford pickup they use a electric vacume pump for all here needs it might work
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 5:48am
It helps if the vacuum motor for your wipers is healthy too. If it needs to be rebuilt, Peter Stathes, an AMC vendor can rebuild it or you can use Ficken Wiper Service. The cost is about the same. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
dirtydan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 12:59pm
The motor is in great shape. When I put on my refurbished dual action pump I was surprised how well they worked and how much speed adjustment there was. The bottom half of the pump just started spurting oil after about two uses so I am kind of hesitant to just put another refurb. on there. 

Someone mentioned that I can just hook up a vacuum pump from pretty much any car that had a vacuum wiper system and hook it up to the manifold?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 10:16pm
well, with a good fuel/booster pump, and a good wiper motor, vacuum wipers are as good as electrics, done and done. it's just that no one likes to bring them up to snuff, 40, 50 years later! it's a PITA! either money or time (as always).

i run vacuum wipers off my 195.6 OHV, and it's got a cam with overlap, so my maximum vacuum is about 10 InHg at idle. i carefully cleaned up my wiper motor, complete disassembly and lube with Vaseline, which is about the right viscosity. but this particular motor the leather wiper (yes, dead animal) was OK, in previous cars it was ruined, loose and leaking. YMMV.

so with a "decent" motor with this low vacuum motor, it works fine -- as long as you never press the gas pedal :-) 

i live in Los Angeles, 99% of my driving is SouthWest driving. it's adequate for me.

i was caught in a very heavy New Mexico downpour, one that would rival a midwest storm, where on an interstate people were pulling over due to lack of visibility. it "worked" as long as i let off the throttle.

you'll be fine until your new pump comes home!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 10:34pm
The original fuel/vacuum pumps last a long time. I got close to fifty years with mine on a 196 before it went to the next owner and I think the one on the 232 I am using is also probably fifty years old.

The wiper motor I had to repair when the car was 20 to 25 years old and it had over 100k miles on it.

There should be no problem hooking it up to manifold pressure. That was common before the use of vacuum pumps.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 10:48pm
There is a thread about using an auxiliary 12V vacuum pump to work the wiper system. I even bought a pump, but never messed with it. Never heard of anyone posting results.

I run my wipers straight off the manifold. I just covered 2500 miles and used my wipers a few times. Keep your foot out of the carburetor and they will work just fine. If its raining so hard you cannot see... oh well...just stop.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
dirtydan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 3:57pm
Thanks for the advice. I guess it doesn't matter anymore because I was not able to track down a single action pump that works for my car anyway.... Just an fyi the fuel pump listed under my model year and engine type ('69 rambler, 232) at autozone and a couple of other local places I went to was NOT compatible with my motor. It was similar, but the mount was upside down relative to mine and the arm was of a slightly different design. And I don't think setting up an electric pump would be worth it with the proper one coming eventually.

I will just have to be patient and not drive my car for a month or so, which sucks because it's summer after all... I guess its back to the moped Cry

Edited by dirtydan - Jun/29/2017 at 4:00pm
REBEL_BOB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBEL_BOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 8:42pm
DAN old cars need rest too
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2017 at 5:29am
Does camjams post in the v8 section apply to the vacuum assist pumps? I think it would. Search for fuel pumps wth? Or something like that. He found a problem with the rebuilt pumps and has a great write up on how he solved it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic