TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

2 Seater Backseat or Mount?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Seater Backseat or Mount?
    Posted: May/25/2016 at 9:58pm
I know it's not a common thing (and likely not practical), but has anyone fit a small backseat (for small kids) or some sort of mount for a car seat? Recently had our first baby and it got me thinking of the practicality of a 2 seater Amx in a 3 person family. Assuming it's probably just easier to sell the car and get a Javelin or something, but figured why not ask.
1968 Amx - Was 390/4spd, will have mild 360/5spd T5 (project)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 11:11am
Keep the car. It's been done. Not my car but very nicely done. Saw it at the last Kenosha show. I am sure the kid will grow out of it and it may be for sale at some point. I thought about doing this forever as well. A small jeep backseat or a custom fit 3rd row seat may work. I ended up buying a SCRambler to get a back seat that I could take the family to shows in... Wife drives the 2 seater with one kid, I drive the SCRambler with 3.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 1:32pm
Look in the Australian section, the amx was built with a small back seat.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 8:06pm
I removed the back seat from my 66 American and turned it into a cargo area.

Pic while under construction

Works great on trips, frees up the truck for bags.

Old picture as the seats have been upholstered black.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 11:05pm
I remembered reading years ago that a Spirit seat is a pretty good fit back there.

I never verified it but believed whoever wrote it at the time.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 11:24pm
The Aussie AMX's were slow sellers, so the last few had a back seat fitted locally to try and extend the potential market.

\
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 8:57am
My dad told me when he ordered his Gremlin that the dealership said if he didn't want to wait for it they could easily put a back seat in an AMX for him. They said a Gremlin back seat would fit. I don't know how easy it would be? 
Gremmy Power!!!
Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 9:55pm
Thanks for the replies and pictures! Sounds like a couple different possible ways of it. Being part of a Jeep crowd as well finding an old CJ seat to compare could be easy, or a Spirit I know laying about. In between on fitting an actual seat is a better option or a setup meant for the car seat (like the green one at the top).

Everyone I know tell me not to sell as I'll always regret it, but kids are the reason I even got the car lol (not me, previous owner decided after having 2 that the car would never work to carry them and him).
1968 Amx - Was 390/4spd, will have mild 360/5spd T5 (project)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
Dan390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 12:03am
I think you should sell it for 1 reason...1. I am looking for one!

But seriously, one thing to consider is if you do mock up something yourself and then God forbid you got into an accident and the seat failed or caused harm, hard to live with that when it comes to your kids ya know? Granted I may sound a bit conservative there, but food for thought.

How about get a babysitter and enjoy the show with the wife instead?
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Dan390 Dan390 wrote:

I think you should sell it for 1 reason...1. I am looking for one!

But seriously, one thing to consider is if you do mock up something yourself and then God forbid you got into an accident and the seat failed or caused harm, hard to live with that when it comes to your kids ya know? Granted I may sound a bit conservative there, but food for thought.

How about get a babysitter and enjoy the show with the wife instead?
You could say the same for anything you or anyone else does on a car.
There's lots of maintenance operations, if done wrong , that could result in injury, or death for you or someone else.
  A added child seat for your infant is no different.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic