TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

2 bbl on a 232 in a 69 Gladiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2017 at 4:11pm
Going to take another swing at this in the am. What about using two gaskets between the two manifolds? Not a generally recommended procedure.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2017 at 4:25pm
I know that thing is heavy but if it were leaking before I think I would bolt it up very loose without gaskets and use feeler gauges to see how warped it is. I can't imagine it holding for long using double gaskets.
69gladiator View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2017 at 7:02pm
That's what I thought. I'm just gonna tighten up the two sections first and hope for the best. Dug out the broken stud  in the back of the head so everything should be ok there. I had a leak in the same spot before, when we took the intake off to install the 2bbl. I tightened up the junction first after installing a new gasket and it stopped. This is ridiculous that Ive had so much trouble with a simple job.

Edited by 69gladiator - Apr/12/2017 at 7:06pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2017 at 1:21pm
UPDATE: Finally got the leaks to stop! Bolted the sections together first and then tightened  everything up to the head. NO noise. Thanks for everyone s input on a job that shouldn't taken so much effort to complete. The new lifters seem quieter, although maybe its because there's no exhaust leak.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2017 at 2:07pm
Happy motoring. Thumbs Up
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2017 at 6:21pm
Glad it worked out. AMC specifically says to tighten those four last, but then the guy writing the TSM and even the service techs later were working on cars a few years old, not 40-50 years old!
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2017 at 10:31am
Truck has been running better than ever. We were talking the other day and are wondering what the HP increase would be upgrading from the RBS to the Holley 350. When the engine was rebuilt, a slightly more aggressive cam was installed.We were guessing somewhere in neighborhood of 25-35 additional HP. The gas mileage has improved quite noticeably.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 12:19am
In general American I-6 engines are built and sold way under carbureted.
The formula that can be used is as follows:
CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency ÷ 3456.
Volumetric
Efficiency can be arguably ignored and not used which is how I work with it so plugging in 232 cu in and a reasonable assumption the engine is capable of turning efficiently 5000 rpm you can summarize that the engine can use with out any effort a 335 cfm carburetor.
Given that the BBD is a 193 CFM carburetor it is still way too small when you are talking performance.
Personally I have had good luck with the Carter AFB at 400 CFM and have a 232 at the present time on an engine stand with one.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic