TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

2 Barrel Carbs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakota089 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Barrel Carbs
    Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 9:04pm
What are your thoughts on the Motorcraft 2100 or the Holley 2300..  I'm going to rebuild a 83 258 with a 4.0 head, comp 260 cam..  904 transmission..  which would be better..  tuning ..  power..  mileage ?
69 Javelin, 75 Hornet
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 10:04pm
hi, I may be biased, since I have run the MC 2100, (in an 82 Eagle), and once dialed in, I NEVER TOUCHED THE THING AGAIN, for over 15 years. The thing was so reliable that it even became my wife's car as a dd, repeat, my wife's, car, for almost ten years. Never left her, or me, stranded, anywhere.
After about 40 years, the carb is from a 76 304, it finally started showing it's age, throttle bores were worn/leaking, making the carb untuneable. Got a throttle shaft rebuild kit from "quadrajetcarbs.com", rebushed the throttle rod, put a kit in it, and now I have "better" than new MC2100 on my shelf, waiting for it's next mission. Probably my 77 AMX 258.
I have no opinion on the Holley 2bbls, never used, or even Seen, one, out on the streets. they may be great carbs, I just don't like the idea of a vertical fuel bowl, seems to go against common sense, but, hey, what do I know, the plus is that they are new, and have parts support.
Either way you go, you should be fine. good luck, gz
ps you will need a carb adapter for either of these, on a 258.
Stay away from the Mr. Gasket/Transdapt one. though its available and relatively inexpesive. Try to find the Offenhauser adapter, #5451, still available, ie. through Summit, though you may have wait a week or more for delivery. That's the one I used, and still have, and I would not give it up for 5 times it's weight in bullion!:)
george z
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 2:09am
I think the Motorcraft 2100 and 2150 were the best two barrel carburetors ever made. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 5:49am
Previous owner of my Gremlin added an AMC 2 barrel intake and 500 cfm Holley 2300.  After much tuning and swapping of jets and squirter, it ran well. But it still felt bloated during street cruise. I switched to the 350 cfm version of same carb and it feels so much better....great throttle response and mileage has gone from about 12 to 15 mpg. (It would be even better if I kept my foot off it...but it's so much more fun to drive now!)
72 Gremlin X
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 8:46am
Is there a 2 bbl intake that is a direct bold on, no modifications needed? Or minimal. 
Gremmy Power!!!
mitchito View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 9:30am
I'm just having my 2100 rebuilt, was running great except at idle. From everything I've heard it is the most reliable 2 barrel, but the Holly is a better performer. Since the car will be slow compared to a modern car anyway, I'd go for reliability
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1978 American (Concord base)
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 6:41pm
Have tried MC2100, Weber 38, Holley Truck avenger 4bbl.  Of all the combos, the MC2100 was hands-down the easiest.  No discernible difference with the Weber, and the MC was so easy to tune.  I had a 1.08 version, which arguably could have been slightly larger for my cam/intake/headers.

Comp has the split pattern X4 cams that you might like better than the 260, depending on what you're looking for.  I haven't run anything else, and I certainly love my X4 250H, but mine needed beefy springs and I use the zinc additive too due to increased spring pressures.  The MC2100 1.08 could easily handle the cam you've chosen, I think.

Assuming you have the 2bbl alum intake from the 80's, it will fit fine with one of the standard adapter plates, and you'll need a little linkage work to get the 904 linkage set right.  I ran mine with an 84 jeep 2bbl intake, easy to do.  Had it on a Clifford too, but no difference from the jeep intake that I could detect.  Clifford headers on all combos.  That was all on the stock 258 head, and with your 4.0 head, you'll have the 4.0 exh mani options, and just have to mod the 80's intake to sit on the dowels (I think).  Should be a really peppy runner, even with a cruising rear-end ratio.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
dakota089 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakota089 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 6:49pm
Thank you for the info..  I found an adapter new.. used on E-bay..  now I just have to find a good rebuilt carb..  I see a guy in Colorado sells a conversion ...  carb, adapter, all the linkage for about 290.00..  maybe that's the way to go ? 
69 Javelin, 75 Hornet
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 8:38pm
I bought mine from that guy on ebay. He's legit but I think a little too expensive for a carb that is easy to rebuild and common. Cheap air filter and housing, Plus the linkage stuff he included was for jeep apps and was basically stuff like brackets I could get at lowes and the adapter plate. I didn't use half the brackets on my gremlin linkage anyway. Jeep linkages pull downward and mine didn't. Not that it didn't work great and obviously a good rebuild, but it's ridiculously easy to rebuild one if the throttle shaft bushings are in good shape. Not hard to do those either I think. Overall I was happy with the purchase and he was responsive to questions afterwards too.

I swapped to MPFI and my mc2100 is on the shelf now...if you're interested. I put about 2k on it before my swap. I don't know how much of the linkage stuff I still have, but pm me if you want to talk price. I'm traveling so it may take me a day or so to respond.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 8:57am
Originally posted by dakota089 dakota089 wrote:

Thank you for the info..  I found an adapter new.. used on E-bay..  now I just have to find a good rebuilt carb..  I see a guy in Colorado sells a conversion ...  carb, adapter, all the linkage for about 290.00..  maybe that's the way to go ? 

Gronk motorsports. He also sells the best adapter. Made in colorado springs. I got the whole setup from him for my 85 Eagle. Came ready to bolt on with custom linkage and all. I got the setup with the new carb, not rebuilt. Remember you are adapting a side pull carb to down pull linkage. You also need to set the detent cable right if using a TF trans or you will smoke the trans in short order.

Edited by maximus7001 - Jul/27/2017 at 9:04am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic