TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Upcoming Shows and Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1st Annual Rocky Mountain LX Meet in CO - Event Date: May/30/2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 1st Annual Rocky Mountain LX Meet in CO
    Posted: May/08/2009 at 6:41pm

This will be a blast!!

1st Annual Rocky Mountain LX Meet

Sponsored by Southern Colorado Mopars

at

Pikes Peak International Raceway

Fountain, Colorado

Check out the website for all details:

http://www.southerncoloradomopars.org/2009MoparFest.htm

Southern Colorado Mopars is a class act all the way. They are extremely AMC-friendly and a great group of people. If you’re even thinking about being in the Pikes Peak Region on May 30th you have to check this out, or enter your car!

Pikes Peak International Raceway was built about 15 years ago and was on the NASCAR circuit. It’s gone through several management changes, and this is the first time it will be the host site for this event. It’s just off I-25 in Fountain, CO (about 10 miles south of Colorado Springs). This is a truly awesome place for a show!!

Edited by Mountainmoron - May/28/2009 at 12:54pm
'69 AMX 390EFI, AMO #9412
Mountainmoron View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 9:24pm

This should be a great place to have a show!

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 8:20pm
I went for "Event Staff" training yesterday evening after work. The show will be in the infield area of the race track. Four different clubs (Mustangers, Corvette Club of CO, GM, and Mopar) are sharing the venue. For a "First Annual" event, it looks like it's coming together very nicely.

The local TV News networks are doing announcements today and tomorrow about the show. So far, there appears to be close to 200 cars entered between the four host clubs. As is typical, we're guessing there will be a lot more registering tomorrow morning.

We heard from the facilitiy manager that all show winners will get to take a victory lap in their cars around the Raceway after the awards are handed out. I'll have some photos posted here on the Forum for sure! 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 10:26am
This event was a huge success for the first time Pikes Peak International Raceway venue!

Over 300 entries in the Mopar/GM/Ford classes. 90 degrees and sunny all day. Probably thousands of spectators (the official tally is not in yet). And an absolute blast to be showing a car in the infield of a pro-racetrack setting, with pro-stock practice laps going on around us all day during the show.

Photos still to come (once I download everything and sort it all out).

Plus a major surprise (upset??) for Best In Show in the all-MOPAR class... stay tuned.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 7:51pm

Best In Show/Best AMC; Wayne Davis’ (ColoradoAMX) ’69 BBG AMX…

Best Stock Performance Motor/Top 25 Award; Aaron Davis’ (Javelinman) ’70 Mark Donohue Javelin…

Best Interior/Top 25 Award; Bill Guman’s (Mountainmoron) ’69 AMX…

Mopar section at Pikes Peak International Raceway Infield Turn 2...

Pro Stock practice laps on raceway throughout the day…

Rick McGinnis’ ’69 AMX…

Ford section…

GM section…

Top 25 and special awards Parade Lineup…

Parade Lap around PPIR for any show entrant who wanted a chance to blow off some steam at the end of a great show!

Best In Show/Best AMC…

Bosqueboy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosqueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 8:38pm
Great pics Bill!
Thanks for taking time to post them!!!

Doug
68 AMX

70 AMX

74 Javelin

87 Wagoneer

New Mexico, USA
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 9:09pm
Great job! How fast were you allowed to drive on the parade lap?
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 10:26pm
Unfortunately, I didn't run the AMX around the track (I will probably live to regret not having done this! Cry ) Hopefully ColoradoAMX or Javelinman can tell us about this, as I think they got to do the circuit. As an observer, my guess is the avg. speed around the track was 65-70mph -- no passing, no fancy driving, etc. etc. .... but probably a once in a lifetime experience for the average guy.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 11:21pm
Looked like fun!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 11:08am
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Looked like fun!

Tony, it was a blast! Although the final numbers aren't in yet, if they at least broke even on this show I am guessing it will become an annual event. The venue at PPIR is a great place to have an event like this - plenty of space, and a couple of opportunities to actually drive your car rather than just park it and leave it. I really liked the way they had the class winners drive their cars to the indoor podium to receive their awards, as it gave spectators a chance to actually see the car that won.

The Mopar class had the most show car entries this year, then Ford, and then GM. But this could easily change in future years. I heard a couple of the event organizers saying that once the word gets out, the GM guys will probably end up dominating this show. I can see, too, where this event could also be attractive to AMO and some of the other AMC organizations as a place to where they could be a co-host along with Southern Colorado Mopars, the Corvette Club, and the Mustangers.

I think the PPIR facility could probably hold around 2500 cars, which would qualify this event as a regional show. I guess we'll see. If the event lost money, this may have been the first and last show of its type at PPIR. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic