TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1pc axle ebay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2016 at 11:43am
Yes, a water-cooled abrasive cut-off saw is what we had. A hood enclosed the unit to contain water spray. Worked well.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2016 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Yes, a water-cooled abrasive cut-off saw is what we had. A hood enclosed the unit to contain water spray. Worked well.

X2. We have a couple at work that we use to cut transmission input shafts and heat treated steel parts that are harder than that axle and they go thru it like butter.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
RUMBLR View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUMBLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2016 at 6:38am
So apart from getting rid of the hub/keyway assembly - is the axle stronger than standard?

343 904 M20 - 11.83@115
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2016 at 8:51am
Depends on the heat treatment. Proper induction hardening is key. The weak-link of the stock design is the separate hub, so fixes that issue.

The advantage of the stock design is a tapered roller bearing (Timken Set5) with positive retention (bearing seats against a shoulder on the shaft).

Most after market options use either a Green ball bearing or the Timken Set9 tapered unit bearing (Timken Set9 is slightly smaller OD than stock, so loses the press fit in the housing). Some use the Set5 like stock (Dutchman??). Bearings are held on the shaft with a pressed-on lock ring, so not quite as positive as the stock shaft shoulder ... but haven't heard of issues?

If you're hitting the strip with slicks, go one piece.

Hope this helps,RD.
gtpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 9:07pm

I am in the process of installing a set of the axles from Dr. Diff in my twin grip rear end for my 68 AMX project.  I am finding the components to be top quality and the service to be excellent ( I ordered the axles online and had them within 4 days.  Measuring and cutting them was straight forward and heat is not an issue if you take your time and turn the axle 90 degrees after cutting about half way through (they are hardened so take your time). 
1968 AMX 390 4speed
gtpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 9:13pm

First one installed, I re used the outer seal by cutting most of the lip out and is seemed to fit well even if it is not really needed I figure it will help keep dust out of the bearing area.
1968 AMX 390 4speed
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 10:10am
gtpower, 

Thanks for posting details.   In their kit description it recommends to remove the stock thrust block (transfers inner thrust loads to opposite side since stock single-row tapered bearing and backing plates only resist outward thrust. The bearing outer race bore does not have a shoulder where the bearing can seat, so without the thrust block, the shaft could move inward until the bearing touches the seal bore and damages the seal).   

Does the kit include spacers between the bearing outer race and seal bore to prevent the shafts from moving inward?   If not, what keeps the shafts in place?   Expect the shaft ends would need to be cut square and ground smooth, use the thrust block and set endplay similar to stock if there's no spacers to keep the bearings in place.   

The Moser and similar kits include outer race spacers, to allow the thrust block to be removed, then the backing plates are installed with zero endplay (they actually spec a preload). 

Also, how wide is the bearing and lock ring? If the bearing is wide enough, it may seat against the step for the seal bore, but the seal would need to be installed deeper to allow clearance for the lock ring.   Not sure how deep the bore is for the seal?  

Thanks, RD

Edited by Red Devil - Apr/17/2016 at 10:20am
gtpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 1:27pm
These axles use ball bearings instead of timken bearings like Moser, Superior etc.  I measured the bearing and collar and drove the inner seal into the housing 1.25 in so that the collar would not rub the seal.  The bearing appears to seat against the lip in the housing and is held in place by the backing plate.  The thrust block or in the case of the twin grip the thrust buttons are removed and also with the two piece (clutch type) twin grip the axles are cut .1 inch longer than the stock axle to insure full contact with the spider gear splines.  This basically does away with the "semi-floating" feature of the stock rear end.
1968 AMX 390 4speed
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 6:40pm
Okay. So the bearing is wide enough to seat against the shoulder of the smaller bore for the seal and the seal bore is deep enough you can drive the seal in further in to clear the lock ring.   Should work. 

Thanks, RD   
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2016 at 10:08am
my son and i just installed these into his hornet  used a chop saw just took our time cutting and let them cool over night then filed the ends  fit really well  he is running a spool in his 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic