TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1998 Corvette seats in AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1998 Corvette seats in AMX
    Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 2:26pm
A pair of 1998 tan Corvette seats are on CL about 80 miles from me. As usual, the driver's seat side bolster near the door needs new upholstery. The question is: has anyone installed 1998-2006 Corvette seats in a 68-70 AMX? My AMX has tan interior and the seat upholstery and foam needs replacing. Plus I am 6'4" and I stare at the visor and my heads touches the roof. It is a 160 mile round trip to look at them. Hoping a member as experience with Corvette seats. I do think I will gain 2-3" of head room. They are electric seats that offer a lot of travel. Thanks, Terry
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2018 at 6:23am
I ended up recovering with legendary and new foam the tan front seats in my 68 Javelin. Had I found some 98 corvette seats in that colour I might have done that instead. I cant stand how uncomfortable the Javelin/AMX seats are. I now wish I had just got different seats. Too late now but not too late for you.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Ruby loye View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2018 at 8:13am
No experience, but if they will fit and you like them I say get them. You might want to asks if the guy is willing to buy them back if they dont work. Where will the power come from?Just curious. 

Mark (as long as my arms move, I have power steering...LOL.)

JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 2:23am
Well I don't have any installation advice, but I do like the idea and I would love to see pics if you decide to install them.

"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 2:26pm
The thing about installing seats like that is you can adjust the height, as i am pretty sure you will have to make mounts for the brackets. 

I set my seats up higher so i got more knee height, alot more comfortable. I used Chrysler Sebring   convertible seats as they had integrated belts.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 2:33pm
I feel your pain.

Although I'm 2 inches shorter than you and I have plenty of head room in the White70, it just flat sucks that the rear view mirror is at the location inside that it is. I have to move my head down to see underneath it when it's at the highest position it will go.

Not to mention, the factory seats aren't that comfortable because they lack back and height adjustment.

If Corvette seats fit, go for it if they drop your backside down and give that vision that's needed.

A suggestion is take one of the seats from your car along, (it's only four nuts and two bolts IIRC) match it up with the corvette seat, that might help a bit.

Good Luck.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 3:08pm
Cannot say anything about the Corvette seats.
I installed 2003 Honda accord coupe seats in the 69 Javelin. Basically the same dimensions as original seats and do the fold/slide forward.
Used the Honda seat adjusters but had to fab a sub frame to mount them to the original bolt holes.
I'm 5'7", daughter 5'2" and son 6'2" (I know, who "was" the father). All can drive the car just fine.
Their biggest complaint is mirrors also. Put a convex one on the passenger side for highway driving.
AMXican View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 3:03pm
I got a great deal on  Porsche Cayenne (2009ish) seats ($100 for the pr.) for my 68AMX. 
thought I would use them until I could afford to reupholster the originals, but the Porsche seats are staying in! The comfort and adjustability is too good to give up for originality.
They may be my favorite thing about driving the car.
They have flat rails (sorta like the originals) so they were fairly simple to adapt. Not easy, but what is. Especially when going from Porsche to AMC! The wiring came down to a positive and a ground. I even got the courtesy light on the back of each seat to work. 
Lime Green 70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lime Green 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 3:50pm
theres a 68 or 69 amx called thumper that's raced in the silver state classic and other events . I think his name is jim . he has corvette seats in his amx . I have the article somewhere . they look good .
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 8:26pm
Lime Green 70, Thanks for the info on "Thumper". Seems like the driver's seat is from a early 2000's vette. I purchased a new 2000 Corvette that had tan air bladder seats. I drove it several times to visit my parents in West Covina, Ca. It was 400 miles there, and my butt was not sore when I got there. That is why I am interested in the seats. But not cheap to re-cover. The mounting brackets present issues.

Found many internet articles. "Thumper" is a 69 AMX wearing RWB, 401, Richmond 6-spd, full roll cage, certified at 180 mph, runs in the 165 mph class @ Silver State Classic race, #53 on doors.  
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic