TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

199 to 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2019 at 8:38am
Just a re-ring kit, lifters and timing set for about three hundred dollars could probably get it going again. If the rockers and shaft or cam are worn out or the head needs work then add more. If the pistons don't come out then the bores will need to be ridge reamed and be careful doing that. 
330inthemorning View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 330inthemorning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2019 at 7:22pm
i drove 120 miles to get a *free* 199 (that is now not going to be used, and is now sitting in my carport) that came out of a '69 rambler.  if you were close, i'd pull off a few parts that are a direct fit to my 232 (fuel pump, and other ancillaries), and let you have it.  if you want to look into shipping, i'd strap it to a pallet and drive it somewhere reasonably close to my house to get it shipped to you.  PM me if you are interested.

thing is, by the time it's all said and done, you'd be $400 into my 199 that i have only been told was a runner when it was pulled.

seems that a lot of folks pull these to either upgrade to a 232/258, or a V8.

i'd have to agree with tom in that anything but what it already has in it--even if it's *free*--will cost you in the end.  if you are going cheap, i suggest looking for another 199/T-96.  maybe run an ad in the wanted section on this forum.  T-96's are the bane of AMC transmissions, it seems, but they put them in everything for decades, so there are plenty out there.

if you have a line on a cheap donor hornet or gremmy with a 232/T-14, that would also be a good score.  seems the aforementioned cars go for more than the americans, though, which at the risk of offending the folks that dig these cars, is a mystery to me.  

as you probably already know by now, 1971 was the last year of the old bolt pattern. old engines/newer trans (or vice-versa) won't work together.

Edited by 330inthemorning - Oct/16/2019 at 7:47pm
'66 Ambassador 880 2-door sedan, 232 2V, T-96 OD.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2019 at 11:41pm
At least you don't have a torque tube to deal with! It took me over a year to find the parts to rebuild my T96J (different than the T96 you have) and I question how long it will survive. Can you source a T86 from a V8 car and put it behind your later model 6 cyl from the Jeep?
TheRambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2019 at 9:00am
Thanks for all the advise. I've had a bit of good luck, found the parts needed for the original t96 (thanks Herm) and the engine is in good enough shape that I can do rings and bearings. There will be a bit of head work, but to be expected on any old engine. So I can keep costs down and keep it original.
While I was searching for parts I started replacing the floor pans. When I get my points I'll post some pics.
rodder98 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2019 at 5:17pm
Thanks for all of this tech info.  I was wondering about this myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic