TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1985 AMC Eagle Limited Valve Cover Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger and Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1985 AMC Eagle Limited Valve Cover Question
    Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 2:13pm
Hey there. 

First time to post here. I recently purchased a 1985 AMC Eagle Deluxe Limited edition. I will post some pictures shortly. This was a one owner vehicle and a actual Barn find! It was purchased as my sons first car in hopes to get him away from the computer! The car is in pretty good shape. No body or frame rot. Interior looks good for the age. There are some small interior parts missing but I think i can find them on Ebay.  The engine and all the rubber needs attention.  the original valve cover that came on the vehicle is warped and leaking. I did find a new one on Amazon. I was wondering if there are any aftermarket valve covers out there that can be a direct swap.  I found to following on Amazon. The first is the replacement. Will any of them fit what I have. Or is there one out there that you folks are using.  We did get the engine running yesterday relatively easy. We upgraded the carb and new we have to figure out what vacuum lines we can keep and what we can get rid of. We changed the cap and wires and belts. After that she started right up.    However, there is a heavy tap coming from the top of the motor. Im hoping that it is just a stuck valve. I need to remove the wiper motor to get at the last bolt on the cover to see. Any help will be much appreciated. Its our first AMC. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-264-974-Valve-Cover/dp/B005F9JBJ2/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487705327&vehicle=1985-66-865-13--16-8-8-5293-1610-8-2-64--8-0&sr=1-2&ymm=1985%3Aamerican+motors%3Aeagle

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FPY650/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_01_01_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&dpSrc=huc&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpID=310O0xZBCYL

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AOI780/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_01_03_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 3:01pm
Howdy and Welcome....

I'm assuming you have the straight-six, 258 (4.2l) engine.
Yes, you'll need to pull the wiper motor to get that last bolt, and probably raise the engine a bit to actually remove the valve cover.
Try finding the aluminum valve cover, it looks good and not as prone to leaking as the plastic units.  You can probably find one on craigslist used, or any of the multiple jeep sites as well.  Much like in the pic below....

2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
Ranger and Son View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger and Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 3:11pm
Yes Sir

Do you have any valve covers that would fit. Or should I say what AMC Jeep engines house the same valve cover
SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 10:25pm
I installed an aluminum valve cover on the '85 Eagle I used to have. The main issue you'll run into is that there are unthreaded holes in the head you'll need to tap for the fasteners. Since the same engine with plastic valve cover is used in Jeeps of the same vintage just about any 4x4 vendor should have something suitable, look for a valve cover to fit a 1985 CJ-7:

http://www.morris4x4center.com/valve-cover-aluminum-matte-kit-83501398-al.html

What interior parts do you need? I still have a few things left over from my old Eagle. (Even have a rebuilt BBD carb still sitting in the box that I never got to use.)

Edited by SensibleSpectaculars - Feb/21/2017 at 10:28pm
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 10:45pm
hi, as above, go for an aluminum cover, 4wdrhardware has a few to choose from. If you want to go top of the line, check out www.yourcovers.com, PN 8656. it's more expensive than the others, but has a cool O-ring screw in oil fill, and is the only one that does NOT need the head to be drilled/tapped on Drivers side, where you run the risk of hitting water. Yes, it WILL fit an Eagle, buddy of mine has one on his 84 Limited. good luck, gz
george z
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 6:42am
Grabs parts from Morris, then begin starting the outline for a new 258 or 4.0 stroker swap. If all the rubber is really in the shape that you suggest, that tired little 258 is most likely not going to stand up to the beating it's going to get. It's wise to get started soon.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 6:57am
Replace ALL the vacuum lines with new, make sure correct size. Replace one at a time, and check the diagram under the hood to make sure they haven't been messed up already. That will help a lot! Get a TSM (factory manual -- Technical Service Manual is what AMC called theirs). It assumes you know basic mechanics, but details all unique to AMC stuff, especially the emissions controls. Good troubleshooting flow charts too.

About the valve cover... just make sure you get one that fits your particular year engine. There are several different ones, and they don't interchange. Differences in the heads and how the VC mounts to it. As long as it says it fits your year model you should be okay.
Frank Swygert
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger and Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 9:37am
Thank you! I have not dug to deep yet. we picked it up on Friday and it was running very rough. Did a quick tune up, straightened some belts and some new fuel. She started right up. My current concern is the tapping. But, I have not had the time to pull off the valve cover yet. Most likely this weekend. I will work on a punch list of what we need. I did notice the drivers seat belt fastener is gone.  
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger and Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 4:31pm
All, How do I upload pictures. do I have to use a photo sharing account

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 6:36am
If it sat for a long time it may have stuck and/or collapsed lifters. Try running a motor oil flush through it. Follow directions, and don't drive it with the flush -- thins the oil and isn't good on bearings under load (won't hurt at even a fast idle with no load on engine). That might free the lifters up. Just driving it for a while will help also. If after a flush and 300-500 miles they don't free up, it's time to replace all the lifters. Check wear on the rocker arm pivots too, especially if you can narrow it down to one or two valves. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic