TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1983 Spirit DL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpiritDL1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 Spirit DL
    Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:37pm
hey guys

i have a 1983 AMC Spirit DL with the 258 l6
its an automatic trans that i narrowed down to the 

Mfr CD 904

Mfr CD A998

its a three speed gearbox i believe

how can i check which one it is? and shifting into drive reverse 1&2 are a little rough, would low trans fluid cause that? thanks
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:52pm
It should be the A904. The 998 was used behind the 304 V-8 in earlier models and in 4x4 models. It's the same internally as a Chrysler 904 -- the A signifies it has the AMC bell housing pattern. So a Chrysler trans won't bolt up, but all parts except the bell/main case will interchange. It is a three speed.

Yes, low fluid can cause shifting problems. I'd change the fluid and filter first. A plugged filter and old fluid can cause problems as well. Check fluid with engine running and trans in NEUTRAL, not park. In park fluid doesn't flow to the torque converter... at least I seem to recall that being mentioned. The factory manuals say to check in neutral.
Frank Swygert
SpiritDL1983 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpiritDL1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 9:03pm
thanks! i just checked the dip stick and turns out its pretty much empty, is there a drain plug on this trans or is it just the pan? also what type of trans filter should i be looking for? 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 7:37am
Just go to the auto parts store and tell them what car you have (the 258 is a 4.2L) and ask for a transmission filter kit. If they don't have a kit you will need a pan gasket also. You have to take the pan off to change the filter. There isn't a drain plug. On some auto trannys the dipstick tube is screwed into the side of the pan. I think the 904 is that way, but don't recall for sure. If that's the case pull the dipstick tube (unscrew from pan) and most of the trans fluid will come out. There will be maybe a half quart in the pan, so be careful when dropping it. You might just want to top it off and see what happens. You may have a front and/or rear seal leak. If the front seal is leaking (leaking at the bell housing) the trans will need to come out. That would be the best time to drain the fluid. The rear seal can be changed just by removing the driveshaft.
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 8:17am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Just go to the auto parts store and tell them what car you have (the 258 is a 4.2L) and ask for a transmission filter kit. If they don't have a kit you will need a pan gasket also. You have to take the pan off to change the filter. There isn't a drain plug. On some auto trannys the dipstick tube is screwed into the side of the pan. I think the 904 is that way, but don't recall for sure. If that's the case pull the dipstick tube (unscrew from pan) and most of the trans fluid will come out. There will be maybe a half quart in the pan, so be careful when dropping it. You might just want to top it off and see what happens. You may have a front and/or rear seal leak. If the front seal is leaking (leaking at the bell housing) the trans will need to come out. That would be the best time to drain the fluid. The rear seal can be changed just by removing the driveshaft.

the dipstick screws in the BWs not TF.   If its leaking out the bellhousing, 99% of the time its going to be the torque converter hub. have it rebuilt, and you are back in business..
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 12:32am
If you have a low vibration that runs with engine RPM, it's almost always the converter neck cracking and throwing off the 6 cyl balance. It tends to get a little worse before letting go unless you do a high torque situation. Chrysler calls their version 904A (for aluminum) The Eagle got 998and some Jeeps got 998 or 999. Some of the full size Wagoneers with 4.2L came with 727 (as did my '84 J10)

Some 904s run a smaller filter but most parts stores carry the bigger filter with both 727 and 9XX gaskets in a "kit".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic