TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1983 AMC Spirit DL issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpiritDL1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 AMC Spirit DL issues
    Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 7:28pm
1983 AMC Spirit DL with a 258 I6 2bbl carb. runs for about 10 seconds and stalls or its turns over and starts but dies when the key goes back to the RUN position
 most of the vacuum hoses are messed up
 i dont have a working o2 censor
 and i have no idea about the wires

any suggestions on how i can fix it?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 8:06pm
Have you worked on cars?      Get a 1983 TSM....
SpiritDL1983 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpiritDL1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 9:46pm
thanks, lol this is my first car to actually work on. i mostly do atvs and dirtbikes so im a little new to all the complex parts
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 9:58pm
That spirit isnt complex.     If you havent worked on cars, you just do some common sense diagnosing.
theron View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 10:11pm
     my 1978 258 did the same thing, it had a bad vacuum leak. plug every vacuum line but the one to the distributor. try it then. if it solves the problem the you can leave the hoses off or start replacing the one by one,   plug the PVC hose also, if you have power brakes you will want to plug in the one for the power break booster before you leave the drive way or have a very strong leg to use the breaks.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:42am
The 1983 year smog equipment was (in order to meet the federal request for emissions) a rather complex combination of vacuum lines and delay devices along with some electronics and a carburetor with an electronic adjustable main metering jet.  And  analog system if you will, fast forward to 2014 you have years of people having no clue what they are doing but messing with those things to make it run better when hoses started to leak or through total lack of knowledge as to how to tune it. 
When correct? They actually run rather well.  This brings it down to two choices, either making it correct or having a very good idea how to back fit it to an earlier configuration that will also run well but if not done correctly will still give you problems. 
There were in 1983 11 different configurations of the emissions equipment on that car which by now some of them may or may not be on the thing.   The emissions sticker on the passenger side of the firewall in the engine compartment will tell you what the configuration should be and then knowing whether it is an automatic or a standard transmission will also need to be known. If you can get that information I can load a diagram for how it should be set up. And that can be used for a couple of things.  1. it tells you what things are and where to look for them.  so that 2. you can either put it back to where they belong or figure out how to back fit things so it runs well and can be tuned.  And just like the Dirt Bikes and ATV's a factory service manual tells you how to go ahead and make adjustments to and tune the parts on the engine. 

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:56am
I think that is a good place to start to replace or plug all vac. lines and you can also plug to line to the dist. too for now.
You can also check the intake to head bolts and the carb to intake bolts if they are lose but know the gaskets could be bad and the bolts be tight.

I think the car uses Motorcraft IGN and as a long shot I guess the box could be bad? Once you have a TSM you could check to see what wires should have power to them with key on to see if the box is getting power when you release the key from start.

Has the car been sitting for a long time and does it have a exh. System on it? If so maybe something built a home inside the system and the motor runs till it builds up psi and it stalls?
I had a car that the exh filled with water and froze so when we tried to start it it would not run.
After it was inside overnight we got looking why it would not start, it fired right up and then all the water came out!
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 7:52pm
...here's a shot of what he's working with....

Edited by 83GT - Oct/15/2014 at 10:54pm
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpiritDL1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:18pm
thanks guys for the great advice, ill look into it lol, and that is my car in the craigslist ad but im keeping her for now, today, for some unknown reason, it started and went around the block with absolutely no problems at all! ill still look into the vacuums and such and get back to you asap! 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpiritDL1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:25pm
by the way, the exhaust was cut off when i first got it on account of the whole exhaust being plugged up so its off up to what i believe might be a spark arrest? also i have a new gasket on the rocker cover but its leaking oil Unhappy the gasket is cork and i dont know if its just on wrong? or if it has to break in? im not too sure on that, also im gonna need a new radiator soon and im wondering if theres a vehicle i can pull it from or if it has to be specifically for the car? and im in serious need of a drivers side door handle

if anyone can help me out on those, it would be greatly appreciated Smile  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic