TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1982 Spirit 258 cranks over without key in

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Javelin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1982 Spirit 258 cranks over without key in
    Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 12:00pm
Hi all,
I have a 1982 Spirit with the 258. Yesterday, I went to start it and the battery was dead. When I was installing a new battery, I hooked up the positive cable then as I went to hook up the negative cable to the battery, the engine cranked and started. No key in the ignition. I thought it might be the starter, so I replaced it. Went to hook up the battery and same thing, the engine cranked and started.
Any suggestions as to what might be my problem? Starter solenoid on fender well or the ignition switch, or something else?
Any suggestions welcome.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 12:46pm
Skmetimes when you try to start with a really low battery, there isnt enough current available to fully latch the solenoid. The contacts inside will flash arc and stick the contacts together. Try tapping/ smack the solenoid on the fender to free it.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 6:47pm
i had a starter solenoid schedule it's own disassembly while on the road, driving down a texas freeway. WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... til i pulled over got out a 1/2" wrench and disconnected the battery. upon disassembly the "switch" assembly in the solenoid had somehow fallen apart.

what heavy sez, on top of that, it's a really old part. lube hardens, etc.

it's hammer time!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 6:25am
Just replace the solenoid. If that doesn't do it, replace the ignition switch at the base of the column. On a GM column like that the switch is near the base, the key assembly moves a rod which activates the switch. It's possible that something in the column has broken or come loose and the rod didn't pull the switch mechanism back up. Most likely, however, it's the solenoid stuck. Cheap and easy enough to just replace it. Mounted on the wheel well. It's the first thing the cable from the battery connects to. 
Frank Swygert
74Javelin401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Javelin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 8:40pm
Thanks all for your responses. Yesterday, the vehicle started well without trouble. I am of the opinion that Heavy is correct and helpful suggestion.
Tomorrow I am off to replace the solenoid.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 8:44pm
Solenoid is most likely just fine. Probably better than a new offshore replacement. New one would do the same on a bad battery or connection. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 9:21pm
Check battery voltage. Should be 12.6 volts. If it's not, it's not FULLY charged. 
IF less than 12.6 put a good charger on it over night. 
Unplug and disconnect charger. Turn on headlights for 20 or 30 seconds to remove surface charge from battery. Check battery voltage again - if not 12.6 then you have a battery problem. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic