TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1982 AMC Eagle Limited Station Wagon 4.2L 5-speed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1982 AMC Eagle Limited Station Wagon 4.2L 5-speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myraus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1982 AMC Eagle Limited Station Wagon 4.2L 5-speed
    Posted: Oct/06/2015 at 11:39pm
Hi everybody.

I'm new here to the forum and I have a rather pertinent question which hopefully someone can help me with.

On my Eagle the rear axles are broken and I can't seem to find the right info on them. I know it is a 2.73 gear ratio but not what type of diff it is. I bought it recently this way because I've always wanted one of these cars and the rest of the car is in good enough shape and that is what I based my purchase on.

It looks like a Dana 35 to me, only because I've also had about 5 Cherokees before this and it looks very similar the the rear diffs I had in those.

What options do I have for replacements for the axle shafts or would replacing the whole diff from another vehicle, which would be more common, make more sense?

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 12:15am
Is it the hub that's broken? or the axle itself?   the rear end is called the model 15. I think the Dana 35 has the same center section. pretty much any model 15 out of another Concord/or Spirit will interchange.   Hubs/ and Axles are not available new....
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 3:54pm
and lots of them, good luck! 
my favorite set up!
Richard
www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 5:58pm
You will need an Eagle Model 15 (same as a Dana 35 non c clip) if you want it to be a bolt in. The Eagle's springs are on top of the axle and I think they may be a little wider. Jeep Cherokee Dana 35 or Chrysler 8.25 are almost a bolt in, but you have to swap the shock mounts which requires welding. However, Cherokees never came with 2.73 gearing.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 4:08pm
I need a break from server maintenance-  ugh, I hate Server 2012, Eagles, that's a funner topic, so.........

Those little 15s are actually pretty tough.
I routinely beat mine about, thrashing it as hard as my tough 4.0 can muster. OK, fine, so it leaks some grease and the pinion bearings are not as silent as a cold winter night, but then it's got 182,000 miles on it, what duz one expect?

I have plans on rebuilding both differentials - front and rear, if I can get back into my shop and get other stuff caught up at least .00329% this winter. Both are worn after that many speedometer rotations and those are the last things untouched on the car, last things 100% original.
Wait, I can't really say that-  ok, I DID replace the rear axle bearings and seals 3 or 4 years ago.

Yeah, the pretty darned knowledgeable EagleFreak (he's not a freak, he just likes Eagles a little bit) hit it - watch the gearing.
Personally, even with a tuff 4.0 like I have I'd simply build or rebuild the original differential(s) rather than hassle with geesh, gotta make this match, gotta be concerned about welding spring pads, etc. etc. and well, am I that good a welder that I feel even though a 15 won't hold up so I need to put a more beefy differential under it, and yet my welding WILL hold up? Wait a minute - no. I believe the differential properly redone would hold up better than my messing around trying to swap parts and then thrash it hard.........
Beef up one weak point and you'll find the next weak point and so on.

Anyway, like someone here asked, yeah, Tom - what exactly is actually broken? IT takes some doing to bust even a 15 axle under an Eagle. I mean, Eagle, horsepower, breaking differential parts, you just don't see those terms in the same sentence let alone the same paragraph, so inquiring minds want to know - what broke?

When I got my Eaglet 3 out of 4 springs were broken, Yeah. Left front and both rear springs busted and I mean so badly I thought the rear differential was going to leave the car while it was being pushed into my garage after being unloaded off the truck. I was amazed - what the heck held that thing in with the springs falling out in multiple pieces? The mean leaves were broken!
Yet the differentials are fine other than being well-worn.

Dang, now I gotta go back and deal with servers that were built totally improperly.......... and clean up someone's mess.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2016 at 2:10pm
I bet it's a spun hub. Remember, some mid 80s Eagles got the hub over torqued on one side. After a few years the axle would break inside the hub. I wonder if this is one of those?  If the axle nuts have never been torqued or weren't properly torqued after bearing/seal service it's possible to spin a hub too.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic