TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1982 AMC Concord: Project Sedate Sedan Sleeper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 9:57am
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

[QUOTE=
..... the Trans shop said for me to get my 2 year warranty... they have to do it themselves.........

issue solved..........LOL

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 7:37am
Still making progress! The new black vinyl top and a new front windshield are up next!

My dad polished up my trim really nice for me. The trim isn't "show-chrome perfect" but he managed to clean up a lot of stone dings and small bumps. He was a polisher for 20 some years. He said AMC had really good metal trim because he has polished trim from other brands and he can go right through the other side of some of the stuff out there really easy.

I got this trim from a green 1979 Concord Limited 2dr that some guy was parting out many years ago. It was a low mileage car that he got from his grandmother's estate. It had 54K miles on it but it sat in a poorly insulated garage for so long the underneath was totally gone and when he moved it the body was breaking apart. Anyway.. I was more than happy to pull the metal trim off of it.

After the top is done.. the front bumper, valance, hood and fenders will go on and everything will get realigned. Then it can have the front nose stuff put back on.. grille.. headlights... horn... headlights... running lamps... etc. Once the car is physically complete again it will need a front end alignment before finally getting the exhaust completed and a final drive-ability tune. Wish me luck. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 6:25am
Moisture barrier coating and early stages of new black vinyl top. I'm told the coating is similar to some marine applications and designed to seal out water.

Initially the shop was going to use a 1970's coarse grain texture but I wanted the elks grain which is similar to the original 1980's top.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 8:00am
Glad to see the coating under the vinyl top. I have seen far to many tops rotted out under the vinyl.
Good looking project. 

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 8:20am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Glad to see the coating under the vinyl top. I have seen far to many tops rotted out under the vinyl.
Good looking project. 

Thank you Ken.

Mine did have the typical issues under the rear 1/4 windows that many Concords have. The fiberglass inserts around the 1/4 windows allow moisture to build up underneath them. Then that rust comes out on the bottom edges which will eventually bubble the vinyl top. Fortunately mine did not require replacing metal or anything more than general refinishing and resealing. I got lucky around the front and rear windows too. No major rust in any of the window seal channel areas. I feel very very fortunate for that too. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 7:09am
Here's the new top! Really happy with the way it looks. I think once I dark out the windows and add the stainless Ventshades... it'll be looking just how I want it to! The original rear window is being reinstalled but the windshield is being replaced with a whole new window. The original was very scratched up and had very heavy windshield wiper marks. I figured after 38 years.. its just something that had to be done while the top was being replaced anyway. For those of you that don't know me.. I'm not in the habit of revisiting something twice. That thinking is what delayed the start of this project for so long. I wanted to have all the parts ready and waiting as well as the funds to make sure the project went smoothly from beginning to end.  

Anyway.. next up... I'm debating on what to do with the tan pin stripes. Thinking about just taking them off altogether and not sure if I want to changes the color. If I did re-do them... I was thinking silver or just black... to double down on the silver and black undertones already but I'm interested in opinions. 

Also FINALLY got all the darn door handles (inside/outside) and windows working properly! Something was wrong with 3 out of 4 doors. The door handles are the smooth Jeep rear door handle replacement versions. They work really nice. I did find an NOS set of handles but the price tag couldn't be justified. I'm also replacing the window seals and sweeps in the front two doors because they are really really shot but all the weather-striping around the doors still look great! The hinge pins in the front doors are also being replaced as well. The driver side is the worst of the two. 

Last but not least.. the back deck tray has been redone and I bought a set of Kenwood 3 way speakers in so I'm adding speaker openings in it as well. Looking forward to finally having a working radio again! Its been way too long!

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Dec/16/2019 at 7:11am
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 8:51am
The pinstripe color normally mimics the interior or top color but on your car the silver or none at all would most likely look best.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 9:24am
Wow, the top looks great! This is a great project thread!
AMO Newsletter Editor
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 9:26am
Looking great! If it were me, I would keep the pinstripes, but change the color. Get one of those 3M eraser wheels and it will make quick work of it without messing with the paint. Sounds like you have a lot planned for this project and I'm excited to see the refreshing of this car!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 2:15pm
Thanks a lot for the positive feed back guys! I have owned this car since 1993 and its been a long time waiting for this to happen! 

As much as I liked the tan pinstripe with the original maroon top.. I think the new black top will call for something else. I am torn for bringing it back in a different color but for now I'll delete it. Its falling off in certain places anyway. Darn shame to remove the pillar stripes because they are still really nice but the body stripes are really falling off!    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
  Share Topic