TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1981 Spirit DL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2017 at 7:11am
I will definitely be in Gettysburg for the international meet and Kenosha for homecoming! It's about a 9
Hour trip from Indiana, but it's worth it. Lots of cool people to meet and talk with and most of the parts you'll ever need to finish up your car. Definitely a great time!
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 8:10am
Well, started ripping out old carpet to prepare it for getting new carpet put in and ran into rust. Luckily, it's not too bad. I'll be taking it in a few weeks to get quotes from body shops on replacing the metal so I have a nice clean surface to lay the carpet on (and no more rust inside). I also have been working on recreating graphics for the air cleaner. To my knowledge, AMC never made a decal for the 151 engine, so I made my own. I may experiment with other designs and options, but for now, I'm pretty happy. Luckily I work for a company that can print these on a chrome background so it should pop really well. I also recreated the factory decal that shows you how to replace your air filter and I think that came put really well also. 

More updates to come soon. Front tires should be here Thursday.
73LevisX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73LevisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 9:16am
NICE decals! They look awesome. I'm diggin' the 151 for sure.

Sorry to hear about the floor rust. Just take your saws-all over to Doug's... I'm sure you can find something that'll work for a patch panel...

Don't forget some sound deadening and heat reflecting material under the carpet. You won't regret it!

Keep the updates coming.
'73 Hornet X
304/904
rickmetz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickmetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2017 at 6:43pm
Looks good
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2017 at 8:05pm
Finally grabbed the Spirit out of storage (Thanks Doug for letting me store it indoors this year) and started ripping out the rest of the interior. I haven't taken pictures of the rust just yet, but I will do that sometime this week. All of the old carpet is out, both front seats are out, the rear seat bottom is out, and all I have to do is remove the seat backs and it's completely interior free, minus the dash. Rust was to be expected, since this car has spent its whole life in Indiana to my knowledge. I did, however, manage to snap some pictures of my air cleaner restoration in preparation for the new decals I will have printed shortly. The air cleaner didn't come out as nice as it should have since I am impatient and taking off all of that old baked on paint would have taken hours. I may have it sand blasted further on down the road, but for now, it looks a lot better than it was previously. 

Before: 

After a little scrubbing and painting: 

All 4 brand new Cooper Cobra Radial GT tires are in and they should be going on by week's end. I will be taking the car out to a few body shops sometime this week and even to a buddy I know in town that works for a car dealership in their body and paint department to find out who will do the best job for the best price. Hopefully I don't run into more extensive rust.... I installed new speakers in the back hatch area and will be taking off the door panels to put new speakers in those as well. Nothing fancy, just something better than 36 year old technology. I'm not a huge fan of bumping speakers, and would prefer just to listen to the engine anyway, but my girlfriend likes to listen to the radio, so I will appease her and put new ones in. I just have a few more plastic interior pieces I need to refinish and then once the rust is gone and the floor is all sealed up, the new carpet and the plastic will go back in. I'm going over to Ian's parents' place this weekend and will hopefully come home with a new fender so the body work further on down the road will be minimal. I'll probably end up coming home with much more than a fender though if history serves me correct. One more thing to cross off the list! More updates to come. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 7:34pm
Just got the car back from the shop today and the new tires look amazing! Really brings the outside together with matching RWL tires on the car. I haven't gotten around to taking any interior pictures of the car since the rust discovery, but I will try to update on that. Luckily the body shop I took it to for a quote knew of me through my family and offered me a pretty good deal on getting the rust taken care of. I also got a quote from an upholstery guy on installing the carpet, including the backs of the rear seats, and fixing a split in the seam of the driver's seat. All of that work for $100. Can't ask for a better deal than that! Things are slowly but surely coming together. I also visited Kirkwood's father's compound and came out with more than just the fender I needed. He twisted my arm enough and I came away from there with a Concord parts car! That should allow me to replace the front fenders and eliminate any extra body work to repair rust damage on the current panels. The parts car also was nicely optioned with a 151 with air conditioning that I may rebuild and swap in so I can drive the car as it is for as long as possible. I also sent off those air cleaner and engine bay decals to the company headquarters in Wichita Kansas and they are going to print the air cleaner decals on chrome film for me! (And for free!) Big thanks to Ian for putting a dent in my wallet and a Concord at my buddy Doug's property. He wanted some parts for his Eagle, so we split the car 50/50 so we both win. Can't wait to get started once I save up some more for the rust repair on the interior. 

And now for the Pictures!

Here's a shot of the tire on the rim. Disregard the rust in the front of the fender... It will be taken care of once I grab a fender off of the Concord parts car and get it painted. I just noticed.... I must have either left a center cap at the shop, or it fell off on the way home.... I may need to find some snap in American Racing center caps soon if I can't find it...

And here's a shot of the passenger side with the new Cooper Cobras installed. Going to all RWL tires really makes this thing look sporty! I will probably pick up a set of 14" steel wheels and another set of the original wheel covers in nicer condition once it is repainted to maintain the stock appearance for shows. But for now, this thing looks badass! I went with 235 60 15s in the back and 205 75 14s in the front. Those bigger rear tires really fill out the rear wheel wells and make it look like it will go a lot faster than that tired old 4 cylinder will let it go currently. Wish me luck as we tackle rust shortly!
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 10:21am
Try gorilla products. They have a ton of old stuff for wheels.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 10:02am
Well, after a few knuckle scrapes and a hammer and chisel to break free some of the floor welds, I got the driver's side floor pan removed to help cut down the cost of getting the floors done. Those things are stubborn! I'm now icing my knuckles since a hammer slip busted up one of them pretty decent. Gotta be careful! Here's a picture of the cut out floor. I may have to have them repair the tab on the u channel of the frame a bit, but I don't think it's too terrible. Now to cut out some of the rear hatch area and inner rockers and it will be off to the body shop!
amc78concord View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc78concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 8:27am
The Spirit looks good even before the Restoration!
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 11:05am
Today I got my air cleaner decals back from Wichita. The company I work for can print on chrome film, so they made me 2 sets of each air cleaner decal I designed. I also there's an emissions sticker from my buddy's '73 hornet in the mix since they were already printing the decals for me. Fortunately for me, they printed them for free and I am very grateful for that. Here's what they look like:
Now I just have to decide what ones I want to put on the air cleaner. Any suggestions? I have 2 of each one in case I don't like how one looks or screw it up applying it. Tonight I'm grabbing that parts car concord from Kirkwood's place and then I'll have plenty of parts to pick and choose from including a complete 151 which I will plan on rebuilding potentially as early as this winter. Car will go in for floor pans and rust fixing in about 4-6 weeks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic