TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1980 AMC AMX (Spirit) Build Thred

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote her80amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 AMC AMX (Spirit) Build Thred
    Posted: Jul/12/2016 at 10:31pm

So here we go... The beginning...

A lot of searching has brought me to this point, my lease of a Mini Cooper S has come to an end and I was looking for something different, I wanted something with style that was unique, after searching eBay and consulting my boyfriend who restores classic cars as a hobby I found my gem, a 1980 AMC AMX! It was sitting in a field about 2 hours north of Manhattan, NY. 

The car caught my attention right away, it was sleek and I’ve never seen one before. So I put an offer in and the seller accepted it almost immediately, it was mine for $3,000. So my boyfriend picked up the trailer, loaded up his pickup and off we went!

From the sellers description on ebay: “LOW MILEAGE AMC 360 V-8 WITH MANY PERFORMANCE UPGRADES WITH LESS THAN 8K MILES. TRANSMISSION 904 WITH ALL HEAVY DUTY PARTS. REAR END IS A FORD 8.8 WITH NEW BEARINGS AND SEALS, ALSO NEW COBRA CLUTCHES.

So when we got there we were handed a folder full of receipts, looks like the car started it’s life out in Colorado, where it looks like the 360 got a lot of nice attention at the machine shop, I’ll write up a list below; and the transmission was also given a lot of attention.

We knew the inner rockers and rear floor pans, not a huge deal according to my boyfriend, but the body was straight.

We got the car loaded up and began the voyage home, where the interior was immediately stripped.

So here’s what I can confirm the previous owners have done to the car biased on the information provided in the receipt folder, unfortunately no documentation for the machine work done to the motor was available

Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Manifold

CompCam Magnum 280 Cam Kit

CompCam High Energy Pushrods for Flat Tappet Cam

Hedman Headers 15/8 Tubes  -3” Collector

Holly Avenger 570 Elec Choke Carb

Hi-Torq Mini Starter

Transmission Work:

Rebuild Kit, Shift Kit, Filter, Thrust Washers and Bushings, Clutches, Convert 904 Transmission 904 to heavy duty, Flex Plate, Custom Built Super Stall Torque Converter

Some other work that was done was 11” Dual Fans for the rad, and a 8.8 Trac Lock Kit and Minispool Cross Shaft for the rear end.

Also the 4 gauge pod by the shifter was filled with autometer gauges for the Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Voltage Gauge, and Trans Temp.

her80amx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote her80amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2016 at 10:39pm
Here are some pictures of the floor, before and during the rebuild. Unfortunately pre fab panels aren't available so he had to cut and piece together pieces of steel. 

And here's a rare picture of me doing some work haha

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 5:57am
Looks like the start of a fun project.  Thumbs Up

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 9:21am
Great car for the money. I saw that car for sale on one of the web sites. Having had a 304 in my '83 GT, I bet the 360 will move the car even better. Good luck on your car. I loved my Spirits.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 1:06pm
That's really not a lot of rust for a Northeast car.   Neat project!
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 1:24pm
I also saw that on a website.Never went any further with it due to the fact that it was stored outside in a field and the rust problems.Very happy to see it fixed and saved.Nice work.Good luck with the car.You will enjoy it after the work is done.
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2016 at 9:13pm
Glad someone on the forums bought this..I had to thought about buying it but its an 80 and I collect 79's.  Actually own 3 79 amx's currently. Looks like you are to a great start and nice to see the seller moved some on the price.

Look forward to seeing some progress
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2016 at 9:21pm
Also be happy that your car has the wheels, flares, air dam(is reproduced now) and grill. All of which are pretty tough finds so be careful with them.  They do not reproduce much for these cars at all. 

Here are two of mine

Black one likes yours that is getting close to being done finally

White one

You will get tired of trying to get gas with out being asked questions
her80amx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote her80amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2016 at 10:29pm
Thanks everyone, and I love your black and white amx's! Wish mine had the window louvers 
her80amx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote her80amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2016 at 12:52am
This weekend was a busy one, pulled the entire front suspension aparthe. New parts galore and some old parts looking new again.

Took a wire wheel to everything and even a little sanding, self etching primer and then some Eastwood 2K Aero Cast Grey paint.

Me doing more work

Before, Primer and After

Some new tie rods

Very Early Rough Mockup of the new gauge cluster, Autometer Speedo, Tach and Fuel Guage. And a few LEDs for Left / Right Turn Signals and Brights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic