TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

They are actually a good little trans and will live long and prosper behind a mild 304.  But if you're a gear jammer who loves the redline and sidestepping clutches, it won't be long for the world.

They are a light duty trans for sure.  I had no problem with mine when I had one in my V8 Hornet. Matter-of-factly, it was a good match for my 2.87 rear end.  The T5, not so much and that's why I'm now in the process of re-gearing my rear end.

Yeah I'm not planning hammering on this car, I just want to drive it.

Any idea what gear ratio my Spirit might have? I'm trying to justify not spending any extra cash on a T5 but it might end up being a good idea anyways.
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 9:19pm
2.87:1 for four speed
2.56:1 for auto
chazman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 11:20pm
Congrats! Following along!
1979 AMX
Saxon Yellow
304/4 Speed
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 7:23pm
I was finally able to pick up some fender flares for a reasonable price! If you end up seeing this, thanks again Ken!

The rear two have a bit of rash on them like this:

Since these are so flexible, what could I do to repair them? I don't plan on putting them on the car this summer, maybe over the winter if I can paint the car in the fall. It'll rock the "Roadkill" look until I can put money into cosmetics.

But none of that matters unless I can title this car! The paperwork for this car seems to be stuck in DMV purgatory. I have a clear Missouri title signed (and not notorized) by a Kansas resident. Then the car traded hands locally a few times without being registered, and now I've got in Ohio. I've tried contacting the original owner with no luck (he refuses to return my calls). If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. My next idea is to see if the Kansas Highway Patrol will allow me to send pictures of the car in lieu of an in-person inspection, and then that fellow can finish titling the car into his name, then I can "buy" it from him. After that, it's a game of going through with a costly (and not guaranteed) court ordered title.

So for now, everything else is planning for the future. But here's how the car sits today:

Neighboring my uncle's 1972 MGB in need of a complete suspension rebuild.

The only "work" I did, apart from fixing the driver's door handle, was taking apart the dashboard to see what wiring situation I'm diving into. According to 83GT (previous owner), this car used to have a Mopar 360 in it.

My 304 in all of its dilapidated glory. I'm going to assume it's stock, and I assume it will run with minor work, since it turns and has compression. I will still go through it and give it a fresh coat of AMC Metallic Blue once I get rid of all the smog equipment. 

I've amassed a $450 cart on RockAuto for a clutch, brakes, suspension parts, spark plugs, etc. I have a radiator that may need work, I haven't checked it yet. And then with various fluids, odds and ends, and a windshield, hopefully I won't have to put more than $1000 into it to run it this summer. My plan is to have it ready for the Roadkill Zip Tie Drags in Norwalk at the end of June. I'll essentially have two months to meet that goal.

So again, I need to first and foremost title this car properly and then begin work on the wiring situation. I have two extra wiring harnesses if there's a disaster waiting. I'm desperate to resolve this title crisis, so if you have any advice, please let me know!

Imgur link for more photos: https://imgur.com/a/SLGWw
2005 Volvo V70R
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 11:03am
Getting there! And you are right diving into the dash and any issues you might have there. Sometimes the wiring just needs to be cleaned up by tightening connections and covering any bare spots that previous owners might have caused by adding options. The wiring diagram is your best friend. And cleaning makes any car look better.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

waller amc View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waller amc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 3:33pm
Who did you get to transport your car. I have a matador in Wyoming I need brought to west Virginia. What was the cost

H
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by waller amc waller amc wrote:

Who did you get to transport your car. I have a matador in Wyoming I need brought to west Virginia. What was the cost

H

I believe it was $625 and I went through Get It Done! Transportation, who I found on uShip. Expect to pay $1 per mile or so.

So if you're unfamiliar with the process, you have no choice to be put through a middle man. A broker will charge you a fee (usually around $100-$150) to post you on Central Dispatch, which you have no direct access to since you're not a business. So shippers will then bid on your listing, and when the broker and the shipper agree on a price, the process is complete.

So there are lots of scammers. They will have the "cheapest price" and charge you up front for your broker fee without a guarantee that they'll actually ship your car. They'll list your price on Central Dispatch for a price that no shipper will cover and then you're stuck in limbo. I would wait for someone to say that they won't charge you until you're picked up by a shipper off Central Dispatch. And do your research on Yelp.
2005 Volvo V70R
waller amc View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waller amc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 12:18am
Thanks
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 12:20pm
There was a show on TV about shipping big items and it showed this process. It followed several bidders/shippers and the way they tackled these jobs. The one that stuck in my mind was the guy who won the bid to move an old wooden caboose. He found out how high it was and it wouldn't go down the road as is so he cut the cupola off! Ruined the car. So be careful of what you do.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 9:19am
Cool car. 79 Was the last year for the V8 in the cars. I also have a 79 AMX.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic