TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed
    Posted: Jul/28/2017 at 11:04pm
After waiting five long years trying to scrape the money together to buy a Spirit, I finally did it, and I went big.

I posted a wanted ad in April, and I had spoken to a few people back in forth (also looking at every craigslist in the country at least 5x per week) until I finally got the cash flow to become serious. TL, or 83GT here on the forum, had this AMX in Kansas City. I didn't have the time, nor could I convince my father to drive 26 hours round trip to see it/trailer it home. So, I bought it after only seeing a dozen or so pictures and had it shipped up here to Ohio. 

So what we have here is my dream car. 1979 Spirit AMX, 304/4 Speed A/C car. I figured I wouldn't have the opportunity to buy another one of these for awhile on my college student budget, let alone one that is already a V8/4 speed car. Plus, anything I find around here is probably going to be rusted out. The only rust I've found (so far) is on the bottom corner of the passenger door, and it's extremely minor.

It came with a 304 mounted in the car, which turns and has compression. It also came with what I think is an SR4 transmission, but I'm not 100% certain. I can take measurements tomorrow if needed. 

I can also take more photos. I don't plan on doing anything to the 304 to hop it up for now, so I'm not worried about shredding this transmission once it's mounted in the car. It did come with an AMC bellhousing, which I haven't tried to mock up with this trans, but I imagine it fits. I need to shop for a clutch, so hopefully I can start doing that soon. Once I can catalog the extra parts TL had in the back of this car (and store them), I'll start cleaning up the car and start my plan of attack.

Edited by 23baseball3 - Jul/29/2017 at 9:17am
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2017 at 8:19am
Congrats! Can't wait to see the car...good luck with your project!
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2017 at 10:45am
About time! I remember when you first started looking. Glad you were able to not only get a Spirit but an AMX!

There was a dealer around here that had one with a 360 in it but it was rusty and more than I ever wanted to pay, so I passed on it.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2017 at 4:10pm
Alright, I seem to have figured out the whole picture deal (imgur didn't work, nor did Google Photos, so direct upload it is!) so here's some of my transmission:

This transmission has me stumped. Somewhere here on the forum, I found somebody's claim that the triangular 3-bolt plate on the shifter indicates an SR4, but if I run the numbers on the case and top plate, most Ford forums theorize that it's a T-4, probably from a Mustang II with either the V6 or V8. 

The numbers read: rf-d42r-7222-aa | 13-32-097-901 | RF-D5ZR-7006-BA | 13-32-065-903

It is a 10 tooth spline, and I think it's 1 1/8", but it could be 1 1/16". Any input would be appreciated. I did mock up the trans and the bellhousing and everything seemed to check out. I'm eyeing a 10.4" clutch kit from Zoom Performance at Summit (15 minutes from my house!) but some seem to speculate that it's too big.

Edited by 23baseball3 - Jul/29/2017 at 4:39pm
2005 Volvo V70R
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by AMoCoLite AMoCoLite wrote:

Congrats! Can't wait to see the car...good luck with your project!  

Thank you! I'm very excited!

Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

About time! I remember when you first started looking. Glad you were able to not only get a Spirit but an AMX!

After I drove all the way to Chicago for that '83 DL a few years ago and came back empty handed, I started to think I'd never get one!

Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

There was a dealer around here that had one with a 360 in it but it was rusty and more than I ever wanted to pay, so I passed on it.

I saw that AMX. It was silver, right? I think they were asking $3500. I have much less into this, including the shipping. 

I also moved all of the spare parts into my garage and vacuumed out the interior:

I wasn't sure if I was sucking up a bunch of Missouri dust from the carpet in the rear, or if I was quite literally just sucking up the carpet, but either way, it's pretty clean. 

My college budget is going to prevent me from putting really any money into the car this year, so it'll probably sit and wait for about a year or so. If I can find a weekend job this fall to work around class and baseball, maybe that'll change. Inspired by Mike and Dave from Roadkill, who I met at the end of June in Norwalk, I will get this car on the road first, and then make it look nice after. So I need to focus all of my time, energy, and extra cash towards the wiring, drivetrain, exhaust, and a windshield.

I have 2 wiring harnesses that seem complete. Should I go through the trouble of redoing the entire car with the OEM harness, or should I invest in something like a Painless wiring kit? I've never done any real project work on a car by myself, save for some minor rust repair and general maintenance. I'll order a TSM when I get my next paycheck for sure, but probably not spending any more for now.

Edited by 23baseball3 - Jul/29/2017 at 4:39pm
2005 Volvo V70R
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2017 at 11:09pm
Here's the nitty gritty transmission test:

SR-4 will have Reverse in the toward you and UP position.

T-4 will have Reverse in the AWAY from you and DOWN position.

But by the looks of things, that's an SR-4.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2017 at 8:35am
Glad you have found yourself a car!  Looks to be in pretty good shape.  While money might be tight, don't forget that a Fox body Mustang T5 will bolt up to that 304.  You would just need to have a 6cy bellhousing as it is not at deep as the v8.  Unless that bellhousing you have is shallow unit.  Food for thought.
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2017 at 9:42am
Correct the silver one. It was pretty rusty underneath, all over.

I would use the stock wiring harness. There isn't that much to it. And once you get the TSM, it is a piece of cake following what you have. There is one for the engine bay that is about as easy as it comes. No surprises. And that is the stuff that you can do with no expense.

Good luck!

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2017 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

Here's the nitty gritty transmission test:

SR-4 will have Reverse in the toward you and UP position.

T-4 will have Reverse in the AWAY from you and DOWN position.

But by the looks of things, that's an SR-4.

You would be correct, reverse is to the left and up.

Hopefully I'll be able to start laying out the wiring harness this weekend!
2005 Volvo V70R
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2017 at 8:35pm
They are actually a good little trans and will live long and prosper behind a mild 304.  But if you're a gear jammer who loves the redline and sidestepping clutches, it won't be long for the world.

They are a light duty trans for sure.  I had no problem with mine when I had one in my V8 Hornet. Matter-of-factly, it was a good match for my 2.87 rear end.  The T5, not so much and that's why I'm now in the process of re-gearing my rear end.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic