TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1979 J10 Golden Eagle w/ 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Barbosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 J10 Golden Eagle w/ 360
    Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 2:28pm
My 360 has been down for a while now and I could use some advice.
It's started when the fuel gauge stopped working.
Few days later... I was going to work and it dies while backing up. Couldn't get it running for about a week. I'm not one to just change parts but it was one thing to another. It has new ICM, higher output coil, starter, solenoid, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pick-up coil, fuel pump, timing chain and sprockets, fuel filter, fuel lines, vacuum lines,pcv, new Holly 2 Barrel 650 carburetor.
A couple months ago I got it to the point to where it was barely idling more eloping then it would die after about 5 to 10 seconds.
Hitting the throttle did nothing.
After months of getting nowhere I finally brought it to a Jeep garage and got nowhere. They are the ones that told me I needed a carburetor. They are the ones that told me I have between 100 and 104 PSI on bank 1 that I need to rebuild a motor or a new motor.
I just don't feel that this is accurate.
When I brought the truck home I never could get it cranked up again to where it would Lope like when I sent it to the shop.
Is it possible to be able to tell how much compression you have even though the truck is not running?
I'm torn between buying another used motor that's running or if I would be better off tearing this motor down myself and rebuilding it myself ???
Any help advice or leads to the fix of my golden eagle is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Captain Barbosa
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 2:46pm
Are you getting fuel to the carb? Based on a few things here, you might have a rotten or broken fuel pickup in the tank and or perforated fuel line, causing loss of fuel pickup.
Captain Barbosa View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Barbosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 4:34pm
It's getting fuel. Lines are new
Why would it spray fuel and no action ? I've set the timing over and over 180 and back. Thanks for your help
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 6:15pm
How many miles on it? And how does it crank? Crank hard? Uneven? Backfire when it tries to run?
Captain Barbosa View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Barbosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 8:14pm
55k miles. It turned over just fine before I sent it to the mechanic shop and no none of the above. Now before I set the timing it would backfire spit and sputter turn over unevenly or what have you. When it would crank it would just sit there and Lope and then die after about 10 seconds hitting the throttle did nothing. All that it would do was take the hiss noise away from the Breather but no action and then most of the time by doing that it would kill the motor. Before all this took place I would drive it back and forth to work which is only about 10 minutes or so in town would be fine a little spitting and sputtering at a traffic light until I would get up on the highway and it would never go over 55 to 60 miles an hour on a good day.
Since it has came back from the mechanic shop it will not crank now. Still do not understand how they were able to say I need a new motor and that I only had a hundred PSI on Bank One whenever it's not even running.
Thanks again for everyone chiming in and helping out this is my lifeline my everyday driver I need to get it back on the road.
I'm not sure what actions I should take what's going to be my cheapest and quickest route other than buying another used motor and wondering if I'm going to have the same problem with it.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 8:14pm
My first suspect would be gas tank rust.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 8:50pm
Almost any engine will run if it has fuel and spark and the valve events and ignition events are timed correctly. 100 psi on one bank is not the best, but very much not the problem for why it will not run. I have actually driven a car with a broken connecting rod. Made a lot of noise, but it ran.

The fact that it will not turn over means the battery is no good or there is an electrical problem unless the engine is totally pooched and seized, which does not make sense from your description. Put a socket on the Damper bolt and see if the engine will turn by hand; if it does it is not seized. Then put a boost on it and if it still does not turn the problem is not the battery. You can also check the starter by jumping the solenoid.

You need a old fashioned diagnostic mechanic. One that can make sure it has fuel, spark, and timing. This stuff is basic for a competent mechanic. It's possible to bypass the Jeep systems to figure out where the problems are.

It is possible whoever installed the timing chain messed up the valve timing. That would suck. But get the fuel, spark, and ignition timing figured out first.

Changing all the parts makes things worse, cause it adds to the things that could have been done wrong. Don't change anything else until some decent troubleshooting is done.

Back to basics - fuel, spark, and timing. If you don't have the knowledge try to make friends with a retired mechanic.

BTW a 650 cfm 2 bbl is very much the wrong carb for a Jeep. That carb is designed for race use where you can't run a 4 bbl. Not the plan at all for a street jeep - never take advice on cars from the guy who suggest that.

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Jun/20/2018 at 8:54pm
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 9:18pm
A engine doesn't have to run to take a compression test.  The ignition is disconnected and the engine  turned over about 5 compression strokes per cylinder, but at a fairly brisk pace to get a meaningful reading.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 9:27pm
Worst carb ever for the street.
Pull a plug. I'd bet it is black as coal.
Get it to crank over, change carb and plugs.

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 9:35pm
The few Holley 650 2bbls I've seen,  were all racing carbs,  didn't even have a choke plate.  
Not ever intended for street driving.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic