TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1979 AMX Stocker update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2016 at 8:59pm
I think we need some pictures.
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2016 at 9:23pm
here you go Red...

Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2016 at 12:04am
Good stuff, it's much better to have some imagery to go with the story.
Pinballer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 9:43pm
    Thanks for the reply Ed, it's looking like I'll end up getting the Ross pistons NHRA likes before this is all over. I'm just beginning the tear down to see what kind of pieces are inside this latest 258 I brought home. Internally there's probably not much any good for NHRA inside there, but I mainly needed the correct numbered head it had hanging on it to install on the engine that's already sitting in the race car.  I now have found everything as far as properly numbered parts I need to make the car NHRA legal.
   Most of what's inside this latest donor engine will get re-assembled into a pepped-up 258 street engine for a 70 Hornet or the 67 Rambler American wagon I have, so there's no waste.

The best recent AMX stocker news I've got to offer up is an old racer buddy who used to run mid '70's Buick 350 stockers a few years back finally caught wind of what I'm up to with this AMC car, and he's agreed to guide me a little on things when it comes to head work, either out of pity or intrigue, we're not sure which yet. I'm glad to have him on board though because his cars used to fly--he once qualified #1 at Indy with a '74 Apollo--so he must know something.
Pinballer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 10:01pm
  Hello Red--you can get all the imagery you can stand on this car over at ClassRacer.com   Scroll down for the category called Racer Builds, and then tap on  "Resurrecting the Rambler".
    That will have pictures and text of the entire build up to present day. Some of it is horrifying!Big smile
Pinballer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2016 at 4:12pm
 Not a real big update, but thought I'd keep some blood flowing on here a lilttle.

After the farmers finished harvesting the beans and corn surrounding me in late Nov, it gave me the chance to drive around out back though their fields and pull an extremely rusty 1980 Concord 4 door with it's 258 and automatic out of the middle of the pack of cars and winch it out with it's stuck brakes, 4 flat tires and rusted up ignition key switch that made turning it impossible, onto the trailer and I lugged it to town to a friend's auto shop for a part out. The shortblock out of it will eventually get redone for racing use, and the incorrect numbered head, carb, and intake off of it will eventually go onto another 258 short block I got recently for use in one of those other old AMC project cars I have. The transmission goes up onto the shelf in case it's ever needed.  I drove the car home about 20 years ago, so I know it's a good core.
  The 'spare parts for the race car' quest is pretty much done now. Time to start assembling something that runs good. This will take money. Cry

If anybody needs anything off this Concord, like trim, emission stuff or factory AC pieces, email me and I'll save them for you for cheap. The interior is totally rotted, varmint infested, sun cooked, and horrible, and the sheet metal is all history, so not much good left other than miscellaneous pieces.
  bsaunders@consolidated.net

Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2016 at 5:28pm
Are the front floorboards any good?
Pinballer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2016 at 7:12pm
 Highly doubt it, the roof was rusted open all around the windshield and it's been getting rained in for a lot of years. But I'll look...
Pinballer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2016 at 6:24pm
 Floor is history.
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2016 at 6:50am
Oh, well....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic