TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1979 AMX clutch kit 5.0 liter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2017 at 10:44am
So I'm a little late on the post here, but was wondering before putting the engine and transmission assembly into the car, can I attach the headers and drop it in or should I wait until the engine and transmission are installed. I'm currently working on this right now....wish I had your telephone number to call and talk! Steve
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2017 at 12:39pm
I always put motor in by its self. Then put the headers in. Slide the starter on top of headers. I then put flywheel on followed by the rest of the parts. Headers are semi right to get in and out and starter is big to get in. The way I described was the easiest
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2017 at 1:47pm
Ok, so I got the engine and transmission in with the starter, what a bear! I suspect now I'm going to have to take the starter out to get the headers in, but first gong to try with starter in...that may be a mistake, but I'll let you know. It was a bit difficult to get the engine in with transmission attached. Took drivers side motor mount off and was able to line up passenger side first, and tighten. I then blocked up drivers side, let down the hoist, readjust chain on block, pick up the motor again and fit the drivers side motor mount in place. So someone had changed the transmission mount on the car and the one they put on does not line up properly, the neck is too short, so they adjusted the crossmember by moving it back to the second bolt on the frame..it may have been because the transmission mount is not available? I've got to check, but if that's the case I'm going to weld an extension onto the cross member and remount the bracket I have. I want the crossmember to be bolted in its original location with two bolts, or threaded bolts and nuts. Always something on a rebuild.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2017 at 10:39pm
I don't think you will get the headers in with the starter.. the original style starter just takes up to much room. I went with a mini hi torque and made a ton of clearance. 
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by racerkilla racerkilla wrote:

I think there was one tan on for sale on ebay a few months back in flordia. First one I have ever saw. I have only come across 2 blue ones. Member on here and the one for sale in texas on craigslist posted on the forum.

The yellow one was from chazman right? I really thought about buying that car.

Buff one I think
http://barnfinds.com/stripes-and-flares-1980-amc-spirit-amx/
 http://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/amx2-e1473079365800.jpg
Yes.  from chazman.  it is just about rust free as well. and that was why I bought it..   304, 4pd.  pretty basic, low miles, and I also have the original window sticker to it.
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 9:13pm
I'll have to pull the starter out before I start trying to install the headers. I don't want to spend the money on one of those high torque starters. Would rather save that and use the money to have someone buff the car!
I reworked the cross member. For some reason I think the cross member is not original. After holding it into the car to determine what needed to be modified I found the trans mount would not mount to the cross member without me adding a 2"x 4" plate. Once added and drilled to accept the transmount I lowered the transmission and found it hit on the crossmember support. I had to pull the member out one last time and notch the support so the transmission would sit properly on the mount and the transmission housing not rest on the cross member. Glad I have the tools to do this, but wondering why it was necessary. Same transmission and engine, maybe a different trans mount because ithe original may not have been available, but why would the trans hit the cross member? Well, it's done. Now I just need to install the driveshaft so I can lift up the front end to install headers.   Everything moves so slowly on a rebuild!
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 2:53pm
Some trans mount info:

Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 7:58am
Yes I have #620-1073, but I needed to modify the cross member for it to fit properly. The other two look like they may have been the correct part for the car. Wonder what the deal was for a change since the car only has 41,000 miles?

So does anyone have a picture of where the power steering pump bolts to? I have it bolted in, but it looks pretty tall in the engine compartment? I wish this site had an easy way to cut and paste pictures! it looks like the bracket bolts on to the two bolt holes in the drivers side head. The fuel pump is still exposed to make that connection. The pictures I took prior to disassembly are not adequate! Lol. Well at least I'm making baby steps with getting this back together and I appreciate all your guys help!
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 9:24am

Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2017 at 7:45pm
Nice. So I am at the point of getting the thing ready to run. I installed the hei distributor and would like to rack you brain about the old brain box. I've not gotten rid of it yet and see there are a ton of wires going to it and leaving it. I remember you stating you went back to the fire wall and eliminated the wires and tied into a power line straight to the distributor. So can I cut all those wires and cap them when removing the box?   So I would have to figure out what wire goes to the tach and one power line to the distributor correct?
One more question? How do you attach pictures on this site. I can post some then. I spent about a week trying to get the right belt for the power steering pump! Finally figured a 54- 5/8" but the last two I had gotten one was slightly larger and the other fit perfect.   Ugh,   My name is Steve...my number is 804 366 8701
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic