TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1979 AMX clutch kit 5.0 liter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 10:37am
Hood decal I had the transfer paper cut close to the flames. I laid it on hood to trial
Fit it and made masking tape marks at certain points. It's nice because there is a center body line in hood that lines up right with the point at very front of decal. I used rapid tac solution over the entire hood and as I peeled the decal I applied the solution to back of the sticker. Me and my dad laid the sticker on hood one shot aligning all my
Marks. Squeegee from the center out. Mine had some air bubbles for two weeks or so but few hot days in sun took car of them. The hood and door decals from Phoenix are nice pieces. They look to be put on 3m paper and each color is different piece of vinyl color. The 27 piece kit is like screen printed with clear over the color. Basically printed on single piece of white. Hope that all makes since. I also have a 100 percent original red amx I used for the measurements to do both cars
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 4:55pm
Wow three of them. How do you decide which one to drive? Do you go to shows with them. I suspect that a lot of guys ask tons of questions. I always get asked what the car looks like since they are pretty rare.
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 5:07pm
Well just finished black amx this past august so not out a lot. Took amc trophy home at Hemmings musclepalooza. It was in their magazine. Few local best of shows. White amx has won quite a few trophies as well 1st at adifferent musclepalooza. Red amx I have never driven yet. I actually would of owned a yellow another white and black if the sellers were honest about condition over the last 10 years. Own a collection of cars actually. Have 4 cudas, roadrunner, duster, iroc, vega, aero coupe monte, sx4 and a built sti. I do prefer the amcs though. They get a ton of attention and no one else around here has one of even really seen any of them. Sorry for rambling
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 7:46pm
No I'm fine with the conversation. I wish I had kept that musclecar fever I had as a kid. The only other car I have is a 1967 Firebird convertible. It seems like I'm constantly fixing something on the car. It's amazing that you have that many cars and for cuda's at that. Those seem like the most rare cars available.   What is an STI?
Yeah, this car it's not gonna be perfect probably not gonna be any show winners since I'm doing all the work myself as a very novice car guy.   Seems like I end up having to repaint panels on the car due to not being a professional painter. My brother had put in the hood pins and this past Sunday I welded them shot but like a dummy I didn't cool and weld at the same time so the passenger side warped a bit and I'll have a look at it somehow popping that area out.   Driver-side turned out pretty well but I'll still have a little bit of Bondo to do. I think I painted the passenger door three times in the last time my coveralls bumped the clearcoat   And so now I've got to resend the door and repaint again. I sanded down and painted the engine apartment and then didn't completely take it off when I painted the rest the car and I have overspray to wet sand and buff to make that look a little better. Always something .
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 8:52pm
i had a '79 AMX 304 v8 auto! in black with the superchicken on the hood. one of the funnest cars i've ever owned. really happy to see yours so nice and neat. i bought mine from a car dealer in Boston around 1982, drove it to San Francisco, autocrossed it, etc. even with AMC's declining quality control in the Malaise Era, nice damn car. and i'm sure you solved all those little details. sweet rides! you cam make those handle just great, and they're fast enough to scare you. real sleepers in spite of the showy detail!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 8:54pm
Ok long post.. this all started with a clutch question for an amx lol.

I'm not judging any old car on the road driving for not being perfect. I like them all. I give the thumbs up. Not everyone has a bank account to do so. Why me and my father do everything.. paint,engine, interior because could not afford to pay someone. Was lucky that my dad collected certain cars and kept them nice. Year by year we usually go through one top to bottom and each car we get getting better. As for cudas two he had bought when they were under 2000 a piece and my 68 I paid 200 for it out of a field and built it froma shell when I was 17. 28 now. I am currently in the middle of redoing the 73 right now.  For painting I know your frustrations. I did the fender on black amx  times, front flares twice either dirt, runs, hair etc. But nice to have under a 1000 in a paint job where a body shop would of been fortune..

An sti is a awd subaru turbo car. Stock around 275 to the wheels. Mine is over 500 to the wheels with out breaking a sweat

Some pics
1985 iroc.. My late brothers car. Did a full nut and bolt resto, build small block, t56, dana rear, full suspension, gauge etc. 

87 aerocoupe. Come from a good customer that had left it sit for a long time. He saw that I was a good kid and into cars. Basically gave me the car with the stipulation it i sold it went back to him and the 3 sitcker had to stay on window. Took a few months of parts and cleaning but good solid car now

2004 sti. Come from my Uncle by marriage brother who past. I have over 40k in reciepts for aftermarket parts. He wanted to see the car go to a good home.I worked a deal out for pennies for it

71 383 roadrunner.. Dad had owned it since the early 80's

68 formula s 340 4 speed cuda. 200 from a field.

72 cuda  340 6 pack.Think he paid 1500 for it in the late 80's. He painted it I think in 95 so car still looks good for being together for over 20 years

71 340 6pack 4 speed duster

red amx

72 vega..first car at 14. Was completly stock.Learning a ton with this car. Built small block 13.1 450-500 horse before a 150shot. mucie 4 speed

73 cuda.. 10 year project. I have done rear frame rails, trunk floors,extentions, outer rockers, 1/4 panels, both front inner fenders, driver frame rail, new fenders. Im finally hoping it should be done mid summer. Dad had it all together but then it sat and longer stuff sits worse it gets. Matching 340 4 speed. It will be an aar tribute in orange.  Every free penny I have made in the last year has gone into this car. they are no joke for price of buying part. Louver 800, air cleaner 475, 1200 fenders, 600 seat covers, and doesn't even put dent in it. Hope to be 15k in it and be worth 30plus

And last winter car. Sx4 I put together last month

Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 9:05pm
Nice collection. I understand the cost thing. Putting the wife through college. Hopefully afterwards can spend a little more, but I'm with you, paint job for under $1,000. Still trying to work ou the polishing though. Waiting for some nice spring like weather to repaint...again. I'm really hoping the jeep clutch works out. Can't wait to get it and start putting it together.
Thanks for all the information! Keep up the good work!
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 9:33pm
I have a yellow one.   seems like most are black or red.  the rare color is the Tan one.  Id love to have a tan one. but Ive never seen one.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 9:37pm
I think there was one tan on for sale on ebay a few months back in flordia. First one I have ever saw. I have only come across 2 blue ones. Member on here and the one for sale in texas on craigslist posted on the forum.

The yellow one was from chazman right? I really thought about buying that car.

Buff one I think
http://barnfinds.com/stripes-and-flares-1980-amc-spirit-amx/
 http://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/amx2-e1473079365800.jpg
Extract2th View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 9:39pm
I had replaced the clutch disc and pressure plate around May 2015 for my 79 AMX with the SR4.  I had the same problem for finding the parts then.  I cross sourced to an early 80s CJ that used the SR4 transmission.  Came up with the following.  These are what I used and the car has run fine for the last two years.

I got the pilot bushing from rock auto.  I used a Pioneer PB76HD.

I had the flywheel resurfaced and ran a tap into the holes for the 10" to secure the pressure plate.  Everything went together fine.  Good luck.

Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Parts Cars/Future Projects:
1970 Javelin SST, 1972 Gremlin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>