TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1979 AMX clutch kit 5.0 liter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 AMX clutch kit 5.0 liter
    Posted: Feb/07/2017 at 4:05pm
Ok, so I'm finding out that my 1079 AMX 304 drive train is a rare bird. It has a 9" clutch with a 9.5" pressure plate, which means there is none to be found. The flywheel is already drilled and tapped for a 10", so since I can't buy a replacement, has anyone tried a 10" or 10.5" from the same year Jeep. I wouldn't think AMC changed bell housings and flywheels, but you all know how AMC did things. Grew up in Kenosha and this particular model car was my first new straight from the factory, but I sure didn't think I would have an issue with finding parts like this. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
addic View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2017 at 5:17pm
I would think so ,just make sure you have correct spline size for disk
73 401 Pierre Cardin X P1
73 401 Pierre Cardin X F3     70 X 390 4spd
69 X 401 6 spd
69 AMX 401 auto BSO
73 AMX 401 4speed pc
73 vette 427sb 5spd
73 vette convt.?
08 zx14
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2017 at 6:56pm
A 10.5 pressure plate should work no problem. Same pattern as a mopar/gm pressure plate. I run the larger clutch in all 3 of my amx's. 

I think the sr4 used a 1 1/8 10 spline.. A ford t5 is 1/16 10 spline

I would think any kit for a jeep with a t5 or sx4 should have the 10.5 clutch setup and fit with no issues

Any pictures of the 79? Always like to see new ones pop up that I haven't got to see yet.
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2017 at 8:08pm
i just used a caliper and measured the slime and it was 1-1/16". I suspect I could probably pick up a kit from NAPA and see if it fits? It is a ford transmission made by Borg Warner, and is a 4 speed, but I also read that the SR4 had a 1-1/8" spline. This one does not? Ughh. Frustrating. I don't know how to put pics on this site. My write up and several pic are on spacebook under my name...Steve Matoska.
https://m.facebook.com/steve.matoska.3/albums/562493383957335/?ref=bookmarks

I've since installed the rear spoiler, tail lights and rear side lights, but haven't started the front end. Wanting to get the engine and tranny back in first. Painted in my garage.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2017 at 8:18pm
I think the amc sr4 in mine were both the 1 1/16. When I went to the ford mustang t5 I had to get new clutch disks.

Have napa maybe look up a kit for say an 83 sx4 4.2 with a 5 speed or even a cj. Rockauto may have the specs and better deal as well. Also need 6 pressure plate bolts

Just checked out the pictures.. so far looks like a nice job. I also painted both of mine in a single car garage

Here are two finished ones 

Edited by racerkilla - Feb/07/2017 at 8:30pm
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2017 at 9:07pm
Killer cars. What would you say these cars are worth? I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep it or not, but it's been in the family for about 15 years or so. I started with just needing a paint job with a failed clear coat, took off the panels and saw the dirt and rust under the fenders and the door hinges. Pulled the engine to fix all the oil leaks and decided to replace the valve seals. The car only has 41k on it so I didn't want to go too far. Everything is stock except they change the manifold and added headers. I'm going to put in an electronic intimation...the GM style and get rid of the ford brain box and the coil, but didn't want to change any more since I feel that the purist would throw fits. Going to purchase the striping kit from Phoenix, but probably won't do all the striping you had done. The one I originally bought with my dad who worked at the factory was a killer car. When the AMO show came to town I raced a couple older 390 two sweaters and beat the pants off of them with my stock 304-4 speed two barrel. The story was a Forman or superintendent was wanting to get a high perf engine. One of my friends brother I law worked in the engineering department on 60th street in Kenosha and AMC really clamped down on the employees walking the line as their cars were being built. They would have the people working the line throw in accessories that they never paid for and the car would get to the dealer and the dealers would question the vehicle. So this guy wanted the high perf engine and what they did was take 4 from engineering and inserted them in the line somewhere in the location this guys car was going to be. I think I had gotten one of those cars. I had raced a lot of cars back then with mine and the stock chevy's and mustangs wouldn't keep up. Now the older muscle cars I could or wouldn't even try, but I was surprised to have beaten the older AMX's.
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2017 at 9:09pm
I ordered a clutch for a 1979 jeep. It has the 10 spline and 1-1/16". I'm going to see if that works. Worse thing is it doesn't and I return it and try again.
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2017 at 9:11pm
How did you eliminate all the wiring in the engine compartment and the solenoid? I'd love to do that! Looks really clean!
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2017 at 9:30pm
I honestly don't know what the value is. I know I have quite a bit in each car to get them looking how they do. For the wiring it takes a bit of time. I went with a hi torque starter with the solenoid on it.(This got rid of the ford style solenoid) I traced what 12v hot lines that feed the inside of the car from the junction box by the battery. I think I had got it down to 2 that feed the inside and one random that goes to the hatch popper. Each of those I put a heavy inline fuse and hooked to the starter post. Cable from the starter post to battery. 1 wire alternator tapped into that battery cable line. The hei gm ignition has one 12v and tach(reused same wires from the original coil but just shortened them to my needs)  Hard to explain other then just have to take your time and do it. I like a simple clean engine bay

As for phoneix decals both kits I had took a good amount of time to install. I couldn't install them wet because the clear transfer paper is stuck so well once applied wet would never release the decal. Every decal I put on one shot dry except the hood. 3 of the 4 wheels flare decals are 1 or 2in longer so need to be trimmed. The rear spoiler decal is dead straight but wing is actually curved so you have to curve the sticker close to 2 inches while putting it on The rear trunk lid decal looks to be 1/4 to 1/2 short putting it on so almost have to stretch it some to make it fit edge to edge. Again just takes time.  Took a full weekend to do each car. I trimmed the clear paper as close to the decal as I could and went from there.

The 304s run decent for what they are. I would like a 390 or 401 at some point but who doesnt. Both of mine run a mild 360s on 100-125 shot of nitrous with a 5 speed. 
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 9:03am
So you have my curiosity about the hood decal install. Did you cut to size first, start to peal off of paper, then wet hood and apply carefully or what? Some more history...One of the guys I worked for in high schools wife actually put decals on the cars at the factory...I wish she was still available and the car was back in Kenosha!
Something does feel so good about paying $4-500 and having issues with installing them correctly! You did a bang up job on yours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic