TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1977 Hornet AMX steering gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1977 Hornet AMX steering gear
    Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 2:02pm
hi, I have a 77 hornet AMX 258/4spd. Decent car, not mint, but decent. Yellow. Anyway, last year had complete front end rebuild, all bushings, ball joints, tie rods, etc. Rebuilt the PS pump myself. no more leaks! Anyway, did NOT replace steering gear. Car still feels sloppy in the steering, at about 160k miles i think the gear may be worn out. 
Ok, getting a rebuild is not a problem, the question is which one? Looking at RockAuto page, there are several choices, ranging in price from $69-$538.?!? The "normal" rebuild is a Lares 1106, $69. The fast ratio is a Lares 1105, $162.. says 10:1 ratio, anybody use this? Is that ratio correct? TOO fast? Then, last but certainly not least, there is a Lares 11108, described as a new Delphi 670 design, though with still a 17.5:1 ratio, and something called a .210 torsion bar. Costs $538.!! Anybody know what this is, what the improvements are? I,m probably not going to spend that kind of money, (leaning towards the #1105), but it is intriguing. thanks, gz
george z
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 11:59pm
hi, after a bit more research, seems the Lares 11108 gear is mostly sold as an upgrade for mid/late 60's GM big boats, ie, Caddy's, Buicks, Old's. Why is it being offered as an upgrade for a small body AMC?, and still. $538-$630!? What IS this thing?, and no, I'm not buying it, but curious now, thanks, gz
george z
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 12:09am
AMC steering boxes are the good old, tried-and-true Saginaw steering box. Our columns are typical Saginaw as well.  As we all know, Saginaw provided GM, and occasionally; Chrysler, with steering parts. AMC saved money and picked parts that were inexpensive and readily available.

An older idea for a steering box swap was to change to a steerbox from a Firebird which had a quicker ratio but for whatever reason had fewer turns lock-to-lock.

Have you tried adjusting endplay on your steerbox?  Often that's a quick remedy for a tightening up the loose center point on the box.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 7:32am
I think that 11108 box is listed only because it will fit. Certainly not needed, as it's a heavy duty box. I suspect the price is because it's a new box, and a special piece with the larger torsion rod.

Just remember, that 10:1 ratio is pretty darned quick! The steering will be very touchy, especially with the 70s PS setup. You might want to reduce pressure at the pump with the quick ratio. I have a quick ratio rack and pinion in my 63 Classic and will probably swap to a standard ratio if this one develops any leaks. I haven't tried reducing pressure yet though, I suppose that's the first step I should take.

See http://theamcforum.com/forum/steering-box-swap-68-amx_topic26023.html  for steering box suggestions.

Also read the sixth post in this thread by Wrambler:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/agr-steering-box-other-options_topic24512.html
He uses the 12:1 box from a 93-98 Grand Cherokee. That is a good bit faster than the stock car box (variable ratio, 16-18:1 IIRC... averages out to 17.5:1). Late 70s and 80s may have a 14:1 steering box though (13-15 variable rate?).  Since I moved don't have my TSMs handy all the time...

Edited by farna - Nov/27/2015 at 7:37am
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 10:32am
it will not be the quick ratio box.   AMC used the standard variable ratio box in 1977.   AMC used the quick ratio box for the first time in 1979. (On the 1979-80 AMXs and GTs with the handling option)
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 12:02pm
You mention changing out the ball joints, bushings, etc, did you change out the rag joint/steering coupling? I replaced mine and it took out a huge amount of slop - I, like you, was preparing to change the gear box, but wasn't necessary.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic