TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1977 AMC Pacer 3.8L engine mount * Need L&R

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Article Indefini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 5:40am
Thanks a lot! Best Jj
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 6:21am
Don't buy them.  They are not Pacer mounts.  Pacer mounts are unique to the Pacer.  You will require the cylindrical mounts that were make for that car.  Some Mopar motor mounts can be modified to provide inserts into the Pacer mount shells.  I don't think Glen Hoag is on the Forum but you might try googling his name and see if you can get in contact with him.  Other knowledgeable people, perhaps on the Facebook page will have knowledge about how to modify the Mopar mount inserts to fit the AMC shells.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 8:02am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

You've got to be kidding. That's a load of malarkey. Here they are. These are the mounts I bought for the 232 in my 1977 Hornet about four years ago and they are the same mounts used by just about all AMC sixes, including in the Pacer. Your Pacer.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6021162

Print it out and give the page to the counter sales associate. Order two because they are the same part left and right. You will probably have to wait a few days to get them.

This is one of the easier parts to find for a Pacer. I suggest improving your search skills by an order of magnitude.

Pacers use different motor mounts than other AMC cars. I would suggest verifying your information before being rude to another member.
AMO Newsletter Editor
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 9:29am
Wow.Rock Auto has the mount for $2.19 each.Have no idea if they are correct I never worked on a Pacer.Back in the day the mounts were around $30 each or more.Engine oil is a motor mount killer over time.Keep the oil off the rubber.

Edited by AMXRWB - Apr/17/2019 at 9:40am
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 9:45am
Yes...The Pacer mounts are unique to the Pacers, and there is a distinct left and a right...There is a older Chrysler motor mount that can be used by putting the insert in the old Pacer steel housing...That mount was fairly common and cheap, but I cant remember its mumber...People have been using them for years and someone who is into Pacers will know that number...With a bad mount, usually on the drivers side, that has been exposed to the exhaust heat, the rubber goes bad and lets the engine sit metal to metal on the cross member and causes lots of vibration...Changing them is not a hard job, but the engine has to be supported, and do them one at a time...American Parts Depot did have the Chrysler ones a while back...maybe they still do...If you use them be sure you get the heavier made side correctly positioned...Bob in Alabama

Went to Rock Auto and the ones pictured there are NOT correct...Also looked at American Parts depot and they show the correct insert for $20 each...The last AMC ones I saw were from Steve Jackson and they sold for large money...APD is the way to go here...

Edited by mrblatzman - Apr/17/2019 at 9:53am
Thankyou....Bob
carguyrick View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carguyrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 9:59am
I am afraid that the earlier comments are correct. The Hornet/Gremlin parts are not the same. Pacer mounts are unfortunately unique. On my Pacer I used ones from a parts car that were still in good shape.

American Parts Depot has these listed:
http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/MotorMounts.htm - http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/MotorMounts.htm
Do they have stock? They are a little extra work as you have to reuse parts of the old mounts to make them work. But it is better than nothing at all.
Good luck!
Rick
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 12:36pm
And if you do find new mounts... keep your old ones as they are not easy to find....
And like it or not. Pacers have alot of Pacer only parts, and so just because it has a 232 doesnt mean much....

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Apr/17/2019 at 12:38pm
REBEL_BOB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote REBEL_BOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 1:24pm
Pacerman is right the only motor mount that fits a PACER six cyl is a oval mount with a bolt thru it and it only fits a PACER the mount that all stores show like  NAPA are wrong and the fit other AMC cars with six cyls but not the PACER. I have a 1975 PACER with a 258cyl and replaced them with inserts from GALVINS they are right and worked great

THANKS FROM REBEL_BOB
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 3:14pm
Old mounts are usually just a rubber cushion with studs attached. The newer motor mounts are a "captive motor mount" containing metal plates that interlock to catch and hold the engine in place if the rubber part fails for whatever reason. It's a safety feature. The interlocking plates hang off the side of the mount and that's probably why they look different than your current mounts. They fit and function properly. It's important to turn the mounts the right way while installing them so these plates will interlock in case of a mount failure.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Article Indefini View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Article Indefini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 3:26pm
Thanks a lot for the detailed information. I appreciate the tips and shared experience. Best Jerome
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic