TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 Javelin amx exhaust system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Good to see someone takes their time working on their projects like me Wink
When done you have to post up some pictures.
Dave ----
Thanks Dave! I am almost done but the car needs body work still.

Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2013 at 11:11pm
When I bought the hanger kit two of the special nuts were included.
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2013 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

When I bought the hanger kit two of the special nuts were included.
Your lucky I did not see any special nuts in the box .

Anyway I started the car up and drove it up the street which I have not done in 10 years and got it into 3rd (it's an automatic) I have to say the oem type  exhaust system sounds so nice. It is louder at idle than I thought it would be but when you put the gas pedal down it does not get too much louder it just sounds like it should, like  perfection.

I remember when I had turbo mufflers on this car and it was louder  but not by much, I just want to add if anyone is doing an exhaust on these cars  and you like some sound don't be worried about buying the oem exhaust from Waldrons. Waldron's exhaust gives an option of a louder muffer that looks like the factory one but let me tell you i think you will be happy with the original sound(I got the origianl sounding mufflers) . I am going to put up a video with the standard exhaust and muffers sound for a 1973 javelin on youtube this weekend and I will post it below so you can here how nice it sounds and you can make your decision if you are replacing your exhaust on one of these cars

P.S. I inspected the oem sounding mufflers sold to me by Waldrons and they look like reverse flow just like the origianls.

Edited by dsm6678 - Aug/23/2013 at 6:33pm
JavelinDude View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 4:11pm
What was the diameter of the exhaust used by Waldron? I did a custom exhaust and used 2.25 from the head pipe to the tail pipe, but with Flow Masters. I think my neighbors hate me cause my Javelin is a little loud at 5:30 am.
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by JavelinDude JavelinDude wrote:

What was the diameter of the exhaust used by Waldron? I did a custom exhaust and used 2.25 from the head pipe to the tail pipe, but with Flow Masters. I think my neighbors hate me cause my Javelin is a little loud at 5:30 am.

I believe the header pipe to tailpipe is 2.25 inch and the tailpipes are 2 inch.  Thankfully they make the right side exhaust manifold (YES MADE IN CHINA) I have to say though it seems to be an exact replica of the original. I bought the chinese one so I could transfer the metal housing for the heat transfer to carb for cold starts (which you cannot buy seperate) to my old one but i ended up just using the the whole part. It seems the left  side (driver's side) exhaust manifold is not reproduced.

Forgot to add that the repro exhaust manifold comes with the air injection holes and they have bolts in them for plugging them but I restored my air pump system and used the special bolts that I was able to order from Chrysler Corporation 

Edited by dsm6678 - Aug/23/2013 at 6:41pm
73pc4sp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73pc4sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 8:28am
Can you tell me the part number for those mufflers from Waldron. Original sound is just what I am looking for.
73 PC 360 4sp
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by 73pc4sp 73pc4sp wrote:

Can you tell me the part number for those mufflers from Waldron. Original sound is just what I am looking for.

There are no part numbers on the mufflers. I think waldrons is the only one that makes them or has them made.

I just checked Waldrons and it looks like they only sell the whole system. I would think that you could get certain parts like just the mufflers but you would have to call them since these parts are made on an order to order basis. I think I had to wait  over 4  weeks for my system.

dm

Edited by dsm6678 - Aug/29/2013 at 7:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic