TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 Jav alternator wires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adoriah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 Jav alternator wires
    Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 12:05am
Okay, first off the car wont start.  Battery taken into autozone and checked.  But while trying to figure out why the car wont start (it worked before i took it to a mechanic), I found a short red wire coming off the alternator not connected to anything else.  I was not "stupid" enough to grab for it but my husband was and needless to say, it was live/hot.  Looking at it further, the green, orange and black wires (thin) seem to be right and there is a long (fat) red wire running to the back of the car in a bundle of other wires, but this other red one, which is the same thickness as the long one is just sitting in the car.  Does anyone know what this is?  where it goes to? and could that be the reason my car wont start....open circuit?
Adoriah View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adoriah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 12:36am
lets see if i can figure out how to post a pic.

abndanger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abndanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 3:40am
The red wire running toward the back of your engine is for the starter. The other red wire should be attached to your alternator. Also the light blue wire picture should go to a good ground. Normally the block ground (light blue) cable in the picture is ground to the engine crossmember on the passenger side. If you do a search hear in the forum. I believe there is a few electrical diagrams posted that you can view.
" LIVING THE AMX DREAM"
1973 AMX Javelin Pierre Cardin
1973 AMX Javelin Barnfind "Wifes"
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 6:39am

NOTE - you may not have the electric choke output shown here.

Edited by billd - Sep/15/2011 at 6:39am
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Adoriah Adoriah wrote:

lets see if i can figure out how to post a pic.

Connect the red wire from the alt, to the pigtail off the pos cable.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 8:49am
No - don't do that. You want it to go through the fusible as the top wiring diagram shows.......
Doing a direct connect like that bypasses all the protection in the system (check the thread discussing similar with phat's car)
There's more wrong than just a disconnected alternator, otherwise it would start/crank.

Edited by billd - Sep/15/2011 at 8:51am
Adoriah View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adoriah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 6:26pm
Yeah there is more wrong....the shop screwed it all up....lol.  I think i just may have to do a new alternator/starter/regulator and be done with it....lol.
Adoriah View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adoriah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2011 at 12:16pm
Billd....I have looked at the wiring diagrams that you posted and even the ones online...problem is i have 2 red wires coming off the alternator....one long one and one really short one.  I dont know what to do with the short one....lol.  None of the diagrams show 2 red.....
cwkelley75 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwkelley75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2011 at 3:01pm
***deleted***Ouch

Edited by cwkelley75 - Sep/16/2011 at 5:09pm
It's not what you buy, It's what you build--K&H Customs
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2011 at 4:40pm
There should be one larger wire from the alternator into the main harness where it connects to the fusible link and connects to the starter relay.
There's a second in 1974 that goes to the headlight switch, fuse panel and ignition switch.  it connects to another splice with 3 or 4 other wires in it, red. So that smaller one connects to the other 3 via another splice in the harness, most likely under the hood (I can't recall exactly where)
Not sure what other years, if any other years, wire it that way.........

It's not the gauge as that would not accurately reflect the discharge state.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic