TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 Hornet Sportiebout ?!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 9:55pm
Got them replaced here is the drivers side.

EVF_Sportabout View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2019 at 12:45am
Just got back from a 200 mile drive. She broke 20.6 MPG!

Edited by EVF_Sportabout - Sep/21/2019 at 9:40pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2019 at 9:53pm
Holley to Edelbrock carburetor...

the engine was built and dynoed with a Holley Brawler 600 CFM carburetor.  I have been a Holley guy all my life but I could not get the off idle flat spot worked out of this one.  At my sons urging and handing over an Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM carb I decided to try it.  After all it was free so its only a little time to change it. 

Boy what a difference all of the off idle driveability issues are gone.  The O2 meter is way less spastic, I did a little minor leaning as we are at 5200 feet.  I bought the Edelbrock 700r4 linkage adapter and the 4 to 3 highway downshift hunting went away.  So its staying on the car and the Holley is in its box. 

My wife thinks it makes the car quieter. 
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2019 at 7:38am
I am a big believer in Edelbrock.......
So much more tuneable.
That's what i am running on both my 232 and 258.
My 232 gets 20-23 mpg depending on speed.
I am hoping for more on the 258, it has a lock-up torque converter, after i get it dialed in. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2019 at 9:09am
Last century, I built a 302 in my Falcon. Bought a brand new Holley 500 carb. Ran like crap. After the third call to Holley tech services for yet another adjustment, I told the guy that this isn't a flea market carb, but a brand new Holley. Put a 500 Edelbrock on it and it purred like a kitten, right out of the box. Never used Holley again, and haven't been sorry.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2019 at 11:51am
I ran Holley years ago. Now run a 600 cfm Edelbrock on my engine and don't remember the Holley performing like this. Great throttle response. Just make sure you use a good fuel filter.

Rick
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2019 at 8:50pm
Been kinda lookin at the AVS2 1905 its 650CFM with annular primary boosters.  Those atomize the fuel better and could improve gas mileage as well as performance.

If I go out and buy a new one for it.  But the freebie is working so well and I am getting old and lazy....
Dan1500 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan1500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2019 at 11:30am
Where did you get the strut rod bushings?  In searching there seem to be various options some of which aren't available anymore.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2019 at 10:36pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2019 at 11:45pm
Had the opportunity to re weigh the car recently here are the before (258 I6) and after (304 V8) numbers.  I decided to post this because research before the conversion did not turn up any conclusive numbers 

What changed:
AMC model 15 to a Moser 9 inch ford with 11 inch drum brakes
904 Automatic to GM 700R4
258 I6 to 304 V8
manifolds to shortie headers
2bbl iron intake to Edelbrock Aluminium Air Gap 

Front Rear Total
1780 1360 3140
2000 1500 3500
+220 +140 +360

I was really surprised that the front only got 220 pounds heavier. Considering the transmission accounts for about 80 ish pounds of it the V8 only weighs about 140 pounds more than the 6 cylinder.  The V8 does have an aluminum intake, headers and aluminium water pump that are indeed lighter than their original counterparts.  The Champion 4 row aluminum radiator is a wash because it is so much bigger and holds more coolant. 2bbl to 4bbl carburetor is heavier, the oil pan is now 7 quarts instead of 5. I also added a factory front sway bar.

I did have new Eaton Detroit V8 springs front (V8 with air) and rear (stock with 1 inch lift) on the car with the 6 for about 2000 miles and the car was stiff especially the rear.  After the conversion the ride is quite a bit softer but the car is still sitting a bit high for my taste. If I were doing it again I would order front plain V8 and rear stock V8 to get the car a bit lower. 

I hope this helps out anyone considering a swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic