TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 Hornet Sportiebout ?!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2019 at 6:45pm
After getting in the engine compartment the battery acid and rust corrosion and paint damage was just to much to ignore. So I took wire wheels, EvapoRust and sanders to the fender apron to clean it all up get rid of the rust.  Here are a few shots.

So I did end up painting part of the engine compartment.
I plan on keeping the car long term so rust is enemy number 1!!!! Angry
EVF_Sportabout View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 10:23pm
Patriot headers do not fit in a hornet out of the box. There are clearance issues on both sides. 
let me start with this...
Do any of you watch the Motor trend series Engine Masters?
You need to watch season 1 episode 4 "Exhaust Header Bash!" Testing power loss from dents
Dave Frieburger and Steve Dulcich destroy a set of hooker headers and loose no power on the dyno.

So Yes I beat up a set of new Patriot Clippsters to make them fit in a hornet.
How bad you be the judge...
It was this or the cast iron manifolds because I do not want to deal with the speed bump clearance issues with long tube headers.  This is my wifes car so driveability is paramount.

The center pipes on each side are the big offenders the pictures are worth a million words. 

Drivers side center pipes were all that needed modification.

Passenger side center pipes, little on the front pipe and cut off strut rod bolt.

All things considered this was not that big of a deal to do. I would not order the ceramic coated version if you know you will be doing this sort of work to the headers. 

Edited by EVF_Sportabout - Aug/14/2019 at 10:28pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 10:26pm
With the Bulltear motor mounts and Summit trans mount the motor does not move around much in the engine bay.  So I could go a little tighter on some of these clearances.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 7:31am
You gotta do what you gotta do! Thumbs Up  FWIW, I would shield that rear brake line and the junction block since they're so close to the header. You don't want to boil that fluid in the line.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 10:03pm
Bulltear 6 cyl to V8 conversion motor mounts are worth every penny.  You can pull your 232 or 258 inline 6 and put in an AMC V8 without changing the crossmember.

Installation tips: install the mounts on the engine loosely so the mounts can move around. Trust me you will need the movement. Then set the engine in the bay and begin the process of lining up the four crossmember bolts. This will be difficult when you get a bolt in successfully put the nut loosely on the bottom and move to the next.  They will all line up when you have everything correct. Last tighten tighten all 10 bolts.  

Hornet I6 crossmember cleaned and ready for the V8.

Mounts test fit on cross member.

Drivers installed.

Passenger installed.

Edited by EVF_Sportabout - Aug/15/2019 at 10:05pm
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2019 at 11:45pm
I had a set of their mounts when I was building my rambler wagon. There's no provision to use any sort of cushions with them. I used stock mounts, saving me the problem of visiting my dentist more often than I do now. Solid mounts are fine for a racecar but my wagon is strictly a streeter. 
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2019 at 12:15am
Had a little starter fiasco during the installation.  Tried a Powermaster 9515 starter and it would not disengage after the start. Fiddled with it a bit and could not make it work.  Ended up using a Duralast DL3207.

After we had the power master out we noticed that the armature was not extending straight out and the teeth we nowhere as smooth as the Duralast.  The Powermaster also does not have a nose cone to support the shaft.  The Patriot headers do not come close to the starter so I do not need the mini starter anyway.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2019 at 8:05pm
The car as I got her.

Rocker and door rust repaired all dents from door handles down repaired. the front roof and hatch are all original paint.

258 I6 as I got it.

304 V8 installed.

She is running really well and my wife has actually driven her!

she is going to her first AMC show on Saturday.  The fourth annual AMC's Unite cars show in Colorado!
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2019 at 8:18pm
Great work, and so exciting to take her to first show!
72 Gremlin X
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2019 at 10:35pm
Really nice work that you're doing, and I love Hornets of every style.  I have to say though that I prefer the white sidewalls to the RWL. Makes it that much more of a "sleeper".

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic