TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 automatic transmission install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul1683 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 automatic transmission install
    Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 11:33pm
Hi All

I'm an extreme novice at putting a 1974 AMC Javelin 360 (base model) back together. I've almost cleaned or replaced all the parts within the engine compartment and drive train. Now it's time to put everything back together. The plan was to insert the engine and transmission as a unit. My problem is that the person that removed everything is no longer in the picture. I have no clue where all of the linkages go (pins, washers, retainers and whatever). Is it possible that there are videos or diagrams to show me where to start? Step by step instructions would be invaluable. Any ideas of where I should start?

I know this is very vague but I just need guidance to let me know what details are needed to give everyone a better idea of what I have.

Some background. I purchased this car in 1974 as a repossession thru an auction. I drove it until 1979 and at that time I placed the car on blocks in my father-in-laws large garage (family started with better places to spend money). It stayed there until last year (2017). The engine needed to be rebuilt (that's done). Some small components needed to be replaced but all in all everything stood the test of time very well. It has 21,000 original miles and is in excellent condition. For 38 years in storage, it looks fabulous. I'm in the process of reinstalling everything but need help with the entire process.

Thanks in advance for any help.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 11:54pm
Get a factory service manual, and there are also parts books available on CD that will show every nut and bolt and their assembly sequence. I went through the same thing when I restored my '69. Also, if you know of a Javelin in your area see if the owner will let you look it over as a reference. Mine is a Big Bad car and I was fortunate enough to have another just a few feet away when I was doing the engine bay and suspension. When I got stumped I had a reference just outside the garage. Coincidentally, that car's VIN was only one away from mine!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

paul1683 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul1683 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 7:06am
Thanks for the info. I guess my internet searching skills need fine tuning. I've been looking and looking for information but until this reply I had not had any luck. I will start searching for those references today.

Again, thanks for the info.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 9:29am
This looks to be the parts book on CD I was talking about, though I only paid $10 for mine as I recall.

e-Bay
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 10:38am
It is not that complicated to get everything hooked up.....a 74 has a few unique features in the engine bay that other years do not have.  If you get stuck send me a PM I have parted out 100's of AMC of all years from 1968-1977.  as Cameron has suggested a TSM and Part Book can get you pretty far......if need be you can send me pics.

Ross
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 12:28pm
Here's a link to a complete online 1973 AMC Technical Service Manual:

paul1683 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul1683 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 8:34am
Thanks everyone for the information and support. I have ordered a manual (on CD) and it is on the way. My gas tank is halfway finished as of last night. The inside of the tank was acid bath cleaned, rinsed, and sealed. The top half has been wire brush clean and primed. Today I hope to wire brush and prime the bottom half if the weather cooperates. Once I figure out the picture thing I'll post some pictures. Thanks for the boost of confidence and offers for support (I may need it).
paul1683 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul1683 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 9:57pm
October update: The gas tank has been finished. Outside has been primed and painted as well as the hangers and straps. A new gas tank sending unit was installed and the assembly is ready to be mounted to the car. Engine and transmission installation has been a bit of a pain since I wanted to use my old long tube headers. My original starter needed to be replaced and installed in between the headers and the engine block. That process took me a day and a half to get around all the clearance issues. The entire engine and transmission assembly is now ready to be placed on the motor mounts and tightened down. The original radiator was sent out to be tested and failed. In the process of locating a replacement. Any help with where to find an affordable replacement one would be appreciated. I've been told to stay away from the aluminum ones. Does everyone agree to stay away from the aluminum radiators? I've noticed that almost all replacement models do not have the transmission cooling ports in the same location as the original radiator. Is something like that difficult to get around? It looks like my biggest hurdle after the radiator will be rebuilding the carburetor. I have the rebuild kit but haven't done a rebuild. Hope all goes well with that.

Still working on getting some pictures uploaded.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2018 at 1:25am
I see any issue with running an aluminium radiator so long as you run good corrosion inhibitor in it. Champion seem to have a good reputation for bolt in replacements. I’d be inclined to run a separate transmission cooler rather than the one in the radiator, that way there is never any risk of getting coolant into the transmission.

Carby rebuild shouldn’t be too difficult, just pay attention to where everything goes when you pull it apart.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
paul1683 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul1683 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2018 at 10:14pm
Thanks for the feedback WesternRed. I was under the same impression about Champion radiators. I'm going to try and get in touch with them tomorrow to see if the dimensions I took from my original radiator come close to their replacement. Don't have any experience with a separate transmission cooler but I'll also look into that tomorrow.

I'm hoping to get started on the carb rebuild sometime this week. I'll document (by picture sequence) the disassembly process so I can have my best possible chance of getting it back together correctly.

The filler tube for the gas tank has a whitish residue on the inside of the tube. I'm planning on sand blasting the inside (any possible issues with doing that?). I did a rotary wire brush cleanup on the outside surface and that turned out excellent. The outside surface is now primed and I'll put my first paint coat on it tomorrow. If the sand blast on the inside surface sound legit, should I coat the inside surface with something or leave it bare?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic