TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Javelin amx restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2014 at 8:21pm

Got the extra support for the roof almost done . I fit it in (not welded to roof rails yet) and it's supporting the roof like I wanted it to, super strong now.  The roof is going to be ok.  The excess of the bottom 1/8in will be cut off and also welded right below the upper 1/8in part plenty of room for the headliner. Get another picture when i'm done

e
hitman33dp View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2015 at 9:13pm
Just FYI, 401MATCOUPE has those fender clips you were welding back together in the for sale section. Just in case your interested and haven't seen his post yet.
74 "NOT A REAL AMX" Javelin / 2 x 74 Javelins / 71 Javelin SST
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 8:19pm

This car is finally done . This weekend I am having the pin stripes painted on and  hood t strip installed. I'll have to take a few good pictures. These are just the last few pictures I took while I was doing huge amounts of body work 3 weeks ago before it was painted.. 

dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 8:33pm
I have to take a few pictures with a good camera outside after this weekend when the spoiler , pin stripes, grille and hood decal is completed . Btw the trim was a real pain to get back on fighting me the whole way lol!,,

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 9:40pm
Looks good but can't wait to see some good pics of it!  Clap  Quite the project you have there and I'll bet you're happy to be staring the finish line down.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 11:39pm
Looks great!  I can relate to the trim... I've been fighting with mine on and off for weeks now.  Spent hours polishing the rear window trim today.  It looked gorgeous, but one misplaced bang with a block of wood trying to keep the last piece from  popping up in the corner put a big dent in it! Censored  Now I have to spend several more hours getting the dent out.  
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2015 at 11:04pm
Preety much done! Front spolier not in picture still waiting on that .
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 3:49pm
Looking good!
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2018 at 2:31pm
Update on  the engine noise. .  I ended up stripping the engine to  the block. Checked the bore clearances turns out the place that rebuilt the engine years ago did not bore the cylinders correctly  to the .030 over bore and the bores were all slightly too tight .  

I bored out the cylinders using a stone hone until all the scuffs and scratches were gone.  Took a while..  Was wondering why the service book says "don't use stone hone more than an X amount of times per cylinder" 

Well after about 5 hours boring i measured the cylinders and they were in spec BUT there was a slight out of roundness hence "don't use stone hone more than an X amount of times per cylinder"

Anyway the good news is I brought it to a machine guy and he was able to line hone it and the cylinders are all in spec at .030 over bore. I double checked myself the the bore dial gauge. All new bearings installed

Also did all the oil mods listed here, http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc%20oil%20modification%20setup.htm including the oil line under the intake manifold 

Had some issues after i got the engine back in and car on the road,
Oil pan gasket blew out . (may fault used gaskasinch and did not let it setup before installing)
Was very lucky and was able to just replace the cork side gaskets with out pulling the engine up.
Then the water pump went. Again my fault since i should have changed it while i did everything else during the engine rebuild . 

O yea got a story on the sealed power pistons I got. They are made in INDIA now not USA. and i had an issue with them. To tight on the piston pins 6 of em.
Had to press them off and found the piston bore on the inner portion at the very ends had a raised area that is not seen by the eye of course. Was able to remove it with a modified stone. Pressed them back together and all was good. 

Got over 300 miles on the rebuilt 360 engine noise is gone.

Took some pictures will post them when i get chance

dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2018 at 5:34pm
Here are a few pictures of the engine out and dismantled. The one picture is taken in the dark because we lost power here but Iwas about to get some work done on it that night regardless.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
  Share Topic